Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Best Drop Away Rest for Hunting? >

Best Drop Away Rest for Hunting?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Best Drop Away Rest for Hunting?

Old 11-09-2007, 12:35 PM

Default Best Drop Away Rest for Hunting?

I have beenusing, with no complaints, the Whisker Biscuit rest on all my hunting bows for several years. A couple of days ago, however, I was talking to one of the better 3D shooters in this area about rests. After hashing out the pros and cons of each, I am inclined to try one of the new containment drop away rests for hunting. Given all the things that can go wrong in a hunting situation, am I foolish for even considering a change here? Or is there a reliable drop away that could replace the WB? THanks. Roskoe
Old 11-09-2007, 12:42 PM

Default RE: Best Drop Away Rest for Hunting?

Let me first ask you two questions. What is the reason you are debating switching rests. What do you think a drop a way will do better?

And, has your current rest ever failed you in a way that makes you want to switch?

I am not a huge fan of the WB rest, but they do work and are about as simple as you get. And in hunting sometimes simple is best. Drop a ways have a lot of myth surrounding them, don't buy into all of it. Basically the only thing you gain is less fletching contact issues if they are set up properly. They really don't do anything else that any other properly set up rest will not do.

I would say if it ain't broke don't fix it, unless you just like to tinker and spend money.

My opinion anyway.

Paul
Old 11-09-2007, 12:59 PM

I am actually pretty happy with the WB. But one advantage of the drop aways, at least according to my friend, is that there is less potential for the rest to influence the arrow flight if the shooter has some slight form issue (ie hand torque) as the arrow is launching from the bow. The drop away is generally more forgiving. The little bit of speed gained is not of much interest to me.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:00 PM

Also, my wife says I like to spend money tinkering with things that aren't broke . . . . .
Old 11-09-2007, 01:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

Roskoe,I use the Trophy Taker X-TREME FC and have been exceptionally happy with it. It offers you the full containment of the whisker bisquit with the benefits of zero fletching contact. Built like a tank, extremely quiet (not at all like the older TT) and very easy to adjust and tune.

http://trophytaker.com/arrow_rests.aspx?model=xtremefc&type=arrow_res t

Keep in mind that the actual rest is coated in rubber and has a bumper for the launcher arm to "land" on so you won't need to add any mole skin to the rest itself.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:11 PM

I'll second that on the Trophy Taker X-TREME FC. Extremely happy with mine and cant see my self going back just because I so confident in it. Confidence is more important than anything.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:20 PM

I've seen some improvement using a drop away over the WB. I been real pleased with the Rip Cord rest. I have not tried any of the others but this one works shot after shot for me over the past three years. And it has traveled around the country and it stays rock solid.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, I have to disagree with most guys on this one and agree with Paul. Gees, I remember the days of a Flipper rest and Berger button so it can't be said I haven't seen a few. I've even had 10 different drop aways on one bow over a month period, just to try them.

I have drop aways on my 3D bows and have had them on my hunting bow. But after really trying them and seeing what they do I have to agree that they help eliminate fletching clearance----if you have fletching contact. But in the vast majority of cases fletching contact is a result of poor tuning or a lack of tuning in the first place.

I'd also like it on record that I have a Wisker Bisquit and plan to try it later--over the winter. And I don't really care for them, but I won't discredit anything without trying it for myself.

As for some that may say "I can shoot my bow standing on my head" I can only laugh. I have NEVER seen a person shooting a bow while standing on their head.
Old 11-09-2007, 05:49 PM
Typical Buck

i like the muzzy zero effect and trophy ridge dropaway...both seem to work well..i shoot darts sometimes
Old 11-09-2007, 07:35 PM
Fork Horn

I've always liked the QAD ultra-rest. You can cock it up into place and its a full containment rest, no possible way for the arrow to fall out. But lets say you draw back on a deer and theres not a clean shot and you have to let down, the rest stays up where another dropaway would fall and cause the arrow to hit the shelf. But when you shoot it falls out of the way like a normal dropaway. I had one on my equalizer last year and never had any issues with it at all.

http://www.qadinc.com/c-5-.aspx

Quick Reply: Best Drop Away Rest for Hunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.