Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Very serious question: Can FOC cause... >

Very serious question: Can FOC cause...

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Very serious question: Can FOC cause...

Old 11-05-2007, 10:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Very serious question: Can FOC cause...

Art.

I am just gonna go bang my head up against a brick wall it's less painless
I hear ya!

Old 11-05-2007, 03:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Ausie-guy

That my friend is a mix of poor spine, low FOC and thin blade heads.
Ok, so I know what you are talking about on the first two...butwhat do you mean when you sayhaving thicker blades has something to do with my deflections? The bladesare not breaking. Do you mean they (thinner blades) get dull faster,blade quality aside,when hitting hard tissue?

btw, i shoot the lighter head for more speed.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Do you mean they (thinner blades) get dull faster,blade quality aside,when hitting hard tissue?
Joe.

Thin blades will get dull sitting on a shelf in open air add to that taking them out and putting them back into a quiver they loose their edge fast. Most people sharpen their heads at the begining of the season and think thats it they dont need to be re-sharpened during the season because they have not been shot.

The thicker the blade the longer they will hold their edge plus a thick blade will not slide along bone they will smash through it. I have some Broad Heads here that are .043 thick that have been shot into a Jellow Jacket a lot and those heads will still shave hair, unfortunately I cant say the same for thin blades.

btw, i shoot the lighter head for more speed.
Speed is not everything I can shoot in the high 280's with my set up but prefer heavy thick blade broad heads with extreme FOC for better flight stability (specially if there is a cross wind)and penetration. I want the front pulling the arrow not the arrow pushing the front as that is what washes off your momentium which we all know is what gives us the best penetration.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:23 PM
Typical Buck

Jore, your arrows are not only slightly underspined , they are horribly underspined for that draw length and that poundage. Doesnt it make you wonder why when you were shooting the 2219's and blowing through everything then you change arrows to get more "speed" things start to happen. Go back to a heavier shaft that is spined correctly and you wont have those wounded deer out there.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

Can too great of FOC make a greater chance for deflections?
No. You actually are way off base with your theory. In actual fact, it's the reverse. An arrow that's got too much weight close to the tail is much easier to deflect. I consider your arrows at 10% to be absolute minimum FOC for shooting broadheads.

ditto and x2
Old 11-05-2007, 10:31 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

if you get to heavy on the point and shoot any yardage the point will coming down lower than the arrow and as it hits the weight of the arrow will not be straight behind the point and you will lose some of you energy.
Straightarrow? Ausie? Would one of y'all like to take this one? I'm tired of arguing with this guy.
Did we really get anywhere with the aluminum conversation with him. I don't think this is going to be any different.

Old 11-06-2007, 03:52 AM

Straightarrow? Ausie? Would one of y'all like to take this one? I'm tired of arguing with this guy.
I am just gonna go bang my head up against a brick wallit's less painless
Actually, I'm not going to bang my head on a brick wall or argue with one.