Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

speed vs ke

Old 11-05-2007, 12:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: speed vs ke

ORIGINAL: Roskoe

Been out of town (hunting) the past four days. This little issue really took on a life of its own here. I personally don't question the trend for heavier shafts to out penetrate lighter shafts, all other thing being equal. So I guess I believe the general concepts put forth by Dr. Ashby. However, there is still a balance between speed and penetration when considering arrow weight.

For instance, I have thought about using very light 3D shafts for antelope hunting. I'm sure they would penetrate this light boned animal adequately, and the flatter trajectory could be a benefit on the long range shots sometimes encountered. However, archery elk season coincides with archery antelope; and I sure don't want to risk a light arrow on an angle shot at a 900 lb. bull elk. Now that I have a second bow, might think about setting up one of them for elk and one for antelope.

But even for elk hunting, the small diameter shafts - particularly the A/C Super Slims and the Axis FMJ - offer a medium weight arrow with serious penetration.
I agree!! I never said Light arrows are the end all only way to hunt, but are a very good option for Lots of archers going after North American Game. I have hunted with everything from carbons weighing around 325 grains to 2419's that I don't remember what they weighed, let's just say they were HeavyTrouble is with most Bowhunters their way is the only way to do anything, and the bottom line is 500 grain arrows are just not necessary to hunt most Game I have hunted. Would they work? Yep I'm sure they would, but at the the expense of making my trajectory much more arched and for an advantage that I don't need. I prefer a fast, flat shooting arrow that I know from my40 years experiencewill get the job done once it arrives at the spot. I really don't care how much dirt I kill on the other sideIf you feel like you need Heavy Arrows toGit-R-Done or you are Hunting some Big Dude then by allmeans go ahead. We each buyour own arrows so we can choose what we want

Dan
Old 11-05-2007, 12:42 PM

Wow! Glad I actually had hunting to do this weekend to try and add to my measlie 24 years. You can put me in the middle-of-the-road crowd on this one. There's no doubt that a heavier arrow out penetrates a light one given equal energy behind them. And, I don't think that anyone will argue that in most instances a lighter, faster arrow may be adequate on easily to moderatly tough to penetrate game (anything in North America with the possible exception of bison and mt. goats). My stance is to shoot the heaviest arrow that I can get moderately flat tragectory out of with the best accuracy. For my set-up that just happens to be a 500 grain arrow at 265 fps. It's not a log and it's not a scream machine but it does hit exactly where I point it and I have utter confidence that it's going through whatever I hit when it gets there, and that's what matters.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

For instance, I have thought about using very light 3D shafts for antelope hunting. I'm sure they would penetrate this light boned animal adequately, and the flatter trajectory could be a benefit on the long range shots sometimes encountered. However, archery elk season coincides with archery antelope; and I sure don't want to risk a light arrow on an angle shot at a 900 lb. bull elk. Now that I have a second bow, might think about setting up one of them for elk and one for antelope.

But even for elk hunting, the small diameter shafts - particularly the A/C Super Slims and the Axis FMJ - offer a medium weight arrow with serious penetration.
If you can afford the expense to maintain two different setups for two different species, and have the time to keep your shooting sharp with both of them at all times, that's fine. I think I'd just do one bow with the medium weight arrows you describe. Then I'd invest half the money it'd take to get that second bow and buy a good range finder.

Use the rangefinder on those longer shots at antelope. When you know the exact yardage, that bit of flatter trajectory won't be needed, and you'll have extra penetration potential in case something goes wrong and the arrow doesn't hit exactly where you intend.

Old 11-06-2007, 04:26 AM

There seems to be an overwhelming perception that light arrows are more accurate. They make it easier to kill small animals, far away. I believe it's the opposite, especially with broadhead tipped arrows. Wind has a greater chance to change the light arrow's course. Light arrows lose energy much faster at longer distances, and the animal is more likely to take a step causing a heavy-bone hit.

Personally, I wouldn't hunt an antelope without a rangefinder. If I know the distance, I'm positive I'm more accurate with my heavy arrows. I frequently practice with broadheads at 60-80 yards and I've verified that my extreme FOC, 650 grain arrows group much tighter for me. At 40 yards on live animals, no arrow overcomes reaction time, or inadvertent steps. If I make a good shot, I don't care if my arrow has way more energy than it needs. If the animal takes a step and I hit the shoulder or other heavy bone (antelopes have those), then I have a better chance of penetration to the kill zone.

My philosophy is to build my arrow to be lethal with my bad hits on whatever game I'm hunting. Everything works on good hits (well, almost everything). As a side benefit, my arrows give me more forgiveness and stability, enabling me to avoid more of those off-hits. Of course, my methods only work for those willing to do what it takes to know the yardage before they shoot. Flat trajectories are a distinct advantage to those who do not know the distance and it's over 30 yards - that doesn't describe my type of hunting.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:33 AM

I have a Lieca rangefinder, and learned the hard way to keep it around my neck when bowhunting. I wouldn't have even attempted some of the longer shots I have taken at antelope without it. And even when using it, you range the animal - or a spot on the ground near the animal - and then, by the time you get an arrow nocked and drawn back, the 'lope has sometimes moved a little. But you're right - the rangefinder somewhat minimizes the need for light fast arrows. I wonder how many 3D shooters would use the real light shafts if rangefinders were allowed in this sport?
Old 11-06-2007, 08:35 AM

I like to put my pin on a deer or elk and only see a hole open up and no arrow sticking out. I get this with my set up. I have shot heavy arrows out of recurves and compounds and taken lot of game and didn't get this all the time like I doing now,so I will stay with what Im shooting. I have had a couple of times I hit shoulder blades, but I'm a good shot and it dosn't happen much, but the times it did the light carbon shot through the paddle bone once with a complet pass though at about 30 yards and once with all the arrow going through but about 4 inch that broke off inside the buck a 300 lb + Iowa buck when he took off running. Shot him at about 10 yards. Once a shot a 140 incher at 30 yards along a high ditch passed through him and I seen a small 6 point run up and was standing on the other side of the ditch with my arrow stuck out of him just below his neck on the inside of his shoulder . I tought what the $%^ because I see just seen the big one drop. When I shot the 140 inch I didn't know there was a small buck standing in the bottom of the ditch about 10 yards down were I couldn't see him and when my arrow passed through the 140 incher it hit the small buck and got about 10 to 12 inch penetratoin on the small buck, so I had a friend use his tag on the small buck when we found him. Thing like this way I believe in the carbons, good poundage and fast hard shooting bows. I have tryed some different broadheads and didn't get what I want in a penetration and went back to my old set up. When the newer carbon like the Gold tip came out I think I lost some penetration, but now we have arrow like the axis thicker walls and small around and penetration is great on the five deer I have taken with them so far. Easton staff and I taked about this years ago at a archery show and they were saying the same thing I have and now they have the axis arrow and what are they saying about it

Put them down
Old 11-06-2007, 09:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

I wonder how many 3D shooters would use the real light shafts if rangefinders were allowed in this sport?
I use a 410gr arrow for 3d out of a 60lb Commander at 28" draw, This weight includes a 175gr screw in point

I think some shooters in senior pro are not going to like me next year[8D]
Old 11-06-2007, 10:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

I like to put my pin on a deer or elk and only see a hole open up and no arrow sticking out.
Then why don't you quit messing around? I know the easiest way in the world to accomplish that exact task. Buy a rifle and have done with it.

Really, I shouldn't leave you hanging like that, so here's a recommendation for you. 7mm Remington mag. With 170 grain bullets it'd be good for just about anything in the lower 48. That'd give you approximately 2953 fps with 3293 ft lbs of energy.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:03 AM

Arthur P
Don't you hunt your always on here. The rut on here and I'm out hunting most of the day only time I find to get on here is between morning hunt and the evening hunt and because I'm retired. I hope you don't brake the wall with your hard head
Old 11-06-2007, 11:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Don't you hunt your always on here
Oh, I do quite a number of things in my retirement. I check in frequently during my rest periods.

Quick Reply: speed vs ke

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.