Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Breaking bad habits...need help >

Breaking bad habits...need help

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Breaking bad habits...need help

Old 10-29-2007, 10:35 AM

Default Breaking bad habits...need help

No matter how hard I try I still find myself repeating some bad habits. I have two that really need to be addressed.

First, I have a tendency to drop my bow arm when I shoot. I know that this is a "NO-NO" but it's habit, a bad habit. I guess the only reason I can explain this is so I can watch my arrow's flight. BUT...when I concentrate and don't drop my arm...I can still see the arrow's flight.

My other problem is target panic. I assume this is considered target panic.[&:]I can draw and put my pin on the target dot....or try to anyway. Sometimes, no matter how hard I try, I can not move my pin that small amount up/down/left/right. This is while my finger is on the release trigger. However, I can keep my finger BEHIND thetrigger and hold my pin on that orange dot all day long.

What gives. Should I blindbale shoot to remedy the bow arm problem? What can I do about the target panic? I don't seem to have these problems on a live target. I seem to concentrate more.

Any suggestions?

Old 10-29-2007, 12:04 PM

Default RE: Breaking bad habits...need help

I suffer the same, except dropping the bow arm, which by the way, is another form of target panic. You're anticipating the shot, exactly what you need to get past. I'm going to post exactly what Rick James said for me to do, and it's working.

1. Write down your shot sequence. No exceptions......Write it and post it somewhere you will see it often. Mine goes; Feet square, hips square, shoulders square, head upright, bow arm up, bow shoulder down, anchor, set tension in back, aquire target, commit, aim finish.

2. 1 week straight-no exceptions- DON'T AIM AT ANYTHING.....blank bale only. For 20-30 shots focus on setting up each blank bale shot perfectly. Stand in front of the target, once you are sure you won't miss the target, close your eyes and focus on just executing the perfect shot.

3. 2nd week- start each session 10-15 blank bale shots. Then 10-15 perfect set ups followed by "soft" relaced aiming, focus on trusting your float and getting comfortable hanging out in the X ring. Once you build tension (probably 10-12 seconds at full draw) let down, recover and start over. If any one of those doesn't feel right, let down and start over.

4. Week 3-10 blank bale shots-10 aiming drills-15 arrows at a 5 spot from 10 yards.

5. Week 4- same as week 3.

Old 10-29-2007, 12:14 PM

I had the worst day ever[:@]there was a huge ass dear I was so close to getin itIt was right there in front of me[8D]But I did not ****in get it[>:]I really wanted to kill it but bam!!!!! I shot an it ran away[&o]That is why its was my worst day ever[X(]
Old 10-29-2007, 01:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

To add to what mobowhas said.

Fletch up some arrows with black vanes and nocks use them as your practice arrows you cant see them in flight.

This is the one reason why I wont go for fancy colors and wraps the last thing I want to see is my arrow in flight.

Do as much blind baling as you can, get a release that wont fire a lot of pro shops are now getting these in so customers can draw a bow without having any dry fires.

Come to full draw let the pin float for 20-25 seconds and let down.

You have to take the grey matter out of the equasion (sp)
Old 10-29-2007, 02:21 PM

ORIGINAL: mobow

I suffer the same, except dropping the bow arm, which by the way, is another form of target panic. You're anticipating the shot, exactly what you need to get past. I'm going to post exactly what Rick James said for me to do, and it's working.

1. Write down your shot sequence. No exceptions......Write it and post it somewhere you will see it often. Mine goes; Feet square, hips square, shoulders square, head upright, bow arm up, bow shoulder down, anchor, set tension in back, aquire target, commit, aim finish.

2. 1 week straight-no exceptions- DON'T AIM AT ANYTHING.....blank bale only. For 20-30 shots focus on setting up each blank bale shot perfectly. Stand in front of the target, once you are sure you won't miss the target, close your eyes and focus on just executing the perfect shot.

3. 2nd week- start each session 10-15 blank bale shots. Then 10-15 perfect set ups followed by "soft" relaced aiming, focus on trusting your float and getting comfortable hanging out in the X ring. Once you build tension (probably 10-12 seconds at full draw) let down, recover and start over. If any one of those doesn't feel right, let down and start over.

4. Week 3-10 blank bale shots-10 aiming drills-15 arrows at a 5 spot from 10 yards.

5. Week 4- same as week 3.

Thanks for taking the time to repost that Mobow.

I have actually thought about putting a reminder on one of my bow limbs reminding me to stay on target or something along those lines. Isthatyou mean putting it somewhere where you see it often? When I started, I never had these problems. Now, they rule me.[:@]

I've tried blind bale shooting before but it was only a couple times and only during one practice session. I guess I thought I didn't need that or thought I was doing everything correctly.

Ausie:

Great tip about the black vanes and nocks. Don't you care about seeing your arrow's flight in a hunting situation?
Old 10-29-2007, 02:27 PM

I saw an guy at a 3D shoot awhile back with all black fletch and nocks on the arrows in his quiver. We gave him a hard time about losing arrows, and he didn't seem interested in commenting on the logic. Makes sense . . . . .
Old 10-29-2007, 03:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Great tip about the black vanes and nocks. Don't you care about seeing your arrow's flight in a hunting situation?
No I never want to see my arrow flight

If I do everything right then the arrow is going to go where I have the pin.

When hunting the arrow will be in the ground and will tell me all I need to know.

When tuning my bows I have friends watch for flight and get them to tell me what the arrow is doing and if no friends are around the video camera comes out
Old 10-29-2007, 03:31 PM

ORIGINAL: Ausie-guy

No I never want to see my arrow flight

If I do everything right then the arrow is going to go where I have the pin.

When hunting the arrow will be in the ground and will tell me all I need to know.

When tuning my bows I have friends watch for flight and get them to tell me what the arrow is doing and if no friends are around the video camera comes out
Thats a darn good idea then. It would just bea pain to find that arrow if it doesn't go in the ground like we all think they should.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

It would just bea pain to find that arrow if it doesn't go in the ground like we all think they should.
My only problem is they go a little to far into the ground

I use either a 200gr broad head or 100 gr brass inserts with a 125gr broad head with a blade thickness of .040 so hitting bones is no problem
Old 10-29-2007, 07:38 PM

No duc, what I mean about putting it where you will see it often is like.......Write your shot sequence down on a post it note, and stick it to your computer.

Quick Reply: Breaking bad habits...need help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.