Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

tuning question

Old 10-28-2007, 05:10 PM
Fork Horn

Default tuning question

When paper tuning i have a tear high about 3/4 and i cant get it to go away by moving my nock point is it safe to say it is arrow spine? How would i go about fixing this without changing arrows? Could i just lower the draw weight a few pounds?

Thanks
Old 10-28-2007, 05:21 PM

Default RE: tuning question

you sure your centershot is centered? maybe your rest needs to be moved
otto
Old 10-28-2007, 05:43 PM
Fork Horn

I thought that center shot was left/right...the tear is high. Would i beable to just try and adjust the rest instead of nocking point?
Old 10-28-2007, 06:17 PM

i'm sorry..for some reason i thought you tear was left...my bad...your right.
typically you set your rest for fletching clearence then apply your nocks.
1/8" above level.
when you say it goes away when you move your nock..which way are you moving it?.. up or down? i'd assume down.if the high tear goes away...why dont you leave it there?.or does your accuracy and consistancysuffer?
otto
Old 10-28-2007, 06:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think you have answered your own question. GEE---I wonder what other reason limb bolts are on a compound bow?
Old 10-28-2007, 07:38 PM
Fork Horn

There is no change when i move the nock up or down. I guess what i really wanted to know is how much do you guys think i will have to drop the weight? Or is it just drop it a pound at a time until it is gone. I would really hate to shoot less then 60 lbs. but i guess i have to do what i have to do if i dont want new arrows.
Old 10-28-2007, 09:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

My honest opinion would be to not waste your time paper tuning if the bow shoots decent. If you notice porpoising, adjust the nock, fish-tailing....adjust the center-shot. I don't paper tune because I think paper tuning wastes time, and gets many people more confused and out of tune than "in tune," often times. Set the nock point where it's supposed to be, get the center-shot set using a walk-back tune, get those sights set, and HUNT. One thing to note is that if you are paper tuning, the arrow must enter the paper @ 90 degrees for a perfect tear, so you need to get your backstop up at shot level and shoot through that paper to get bullet holes, if you are going to continue to try paper-tuning. Other than the aper tuning woes, does it shoot well @ 25 - 35 - 45 yds????? Good Luck getting everything where you need it.
Old 10-29-2007, 05:45 AM
Fork Horn

well i found some problems with the vanes hitting the rest when shooting. I took care of that and have total clearance now. it doesn't seem too bad shooting out to 40 yards but i can see the arrow porpoising and fish-tailing. I know that my bow will kill deer the way it is. I want to take it to the next level.I feel it is time to learn how to do it all without having to take it to a pro shop.