Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Is my bow is in tune? >

Is my bow is in tune?

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Is my bow is in tune?

Old 10-26-2007, 12:57 PM

Default Is my bow is in tune?

Ok here the thing. All summer I was shooting my practice tips on my arrows. Well like any ethical hunter i thought the deer deserved me shooting a good BH and dulling it to see where it hits. Well My Strikers were to the right with muzzies. I move the signt because this is the last year with this bow and dont want to tune it so i moved the sight. Well im doing some shooting with my practice tips just for fun and they are hitting right on. Does this mean that my bow is in tune? If i move my sight shouldnt my group mover too?
Old 10-26-2007, 03:36 PM

Default RE: Is my bow is in tune?

It might be "in tune" - might not. I usually start by making sure the arrow has the correct spine, and set my arrow rest to put the shaft either right down the middle of the Berger hole - or maybe a little above it in the case of a newer Hoyt bow. They I do some paper tuning. I want to makecertain I have it dialed in right and left - sometimes I can't get a bow to not tear just a little low at 6 feet. Then go to shooting field points and broadheads; adjusting the rest and/or nocking point to move the field point impact to the spot where the broadheads are printing. If you did the paper tuning first, the difference between FP and BH should be minimal - and if you have any difference, it should be vertical. Sometimes you can't quite get the two to coinincide perfectly.

If I understand your question, you thought the FP's and BH's hit to different spots. You moved the sight to where the BH's shoot. And now the FP's shoot there as well? How much difference was there to start with?
Old 10-26-2007, 04:25 PM

only about 2 in. I have never paper tuned this bow but when i shoot it at 5 feet the arrow goes in straight so i didnt see the need. Well this is isnt a problem at all so i shouldnt be complaining.

P.S I have about 3 years of shots in this string about 2000 shots or so and the cables are startign to turn white whereever the string is served. Is this like dont pull your bow back till you get a new string bad or no?
Old 10-26-2007, 07:26 PM

"When in doubt, get a new string". A lot of new bows don't have premium string installed at the factory. I personally recommend Winner's Choice, although there are a lot of good ones out there.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:47 PM
Fork Horn

I would bring it to a shop and have them look at the string if you question it. I saw some questional spots on my dads bow that he has not shot in about 2 years, so i brought it to the local pro shop and he said that there was nothing to worry about and showed me how to wax it real good.
Old 10-27-2007, 01:37 PM

yeah ill take it to a pro shop cuz i shot it and it got worse. most of the string has freying on it and there is lots of white on the string.
Old 10-27-2007, 04:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I bought a new PSE Mossy Oak and it is an awesome bow..but the strings and cablesaint much. Will have to be replaced after the season with Winner's Choice.