Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Trying to sharpen Montecs, please help.... >

Trying to sharpen Montecs, please help....

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Trying to sharpen Montecs, please help....

Old 10-25-2007, 06:29 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Trying to sharpen Montecs, please help....

i work at a hospital (maintenance, shop welder) and every other friday of the month a guy in a box truck comes that uses some SICK equipment to re-sharpen the surgerys stainless untencills ( scaples etc etc) i brought in a few knives the one day and threw him 10 bux and wiped them up in 20 mins..

having a 16 inch KA-Bar that is as sharp as a razor blade is something im still getting used to..

i know this information doesnt help you.. but its a cool story

anyway.. i sharpen my knives and such at home here by using a combo flat stone.. 1200/2000.. mainly using it on the smaller...thinner metal knives.. takes mroe work and longer.. but i can shave with them when im finished..
Old 10-25-2007, 07:04 PM

Thanks again. I will see what I can do with them, and use my Muzzies next month if they aren't up to par.
Old 10-26-2007, 06:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

The steel they use is soft. Easy to curl the edge. They also sharpen them pushing the head though, perpendiculr to the sharpener.

You can see what I'm talking about looking at a new one through a micro scope or magnifying glass.
Old 11-01-2007, 02:21 PM
Fork Horn

Last night I took a hellrazor that went in the dirt and just worked it very lightly across a fine(2000)stone and it is now back to shaving hair off my arm. Just one pass and flip to the next side. Took me about half an hour, but when they cost $10 apiece.....it was worth it. Looking at it like that, I'll buy more of these heads and resharpen them. It wasn't nearly as hard as I thought it would be.
Brian
Old 11-01-2007, 02:30 PM

A guy I know shot at an elk last month drinking from a heavy duty stock tank in New Mexico. Underestimated the distance and shot low, striking the tank - which was made of 3/8" mild steel. Although the impact destroyed his CE arrow, the Montec was not damaged to the degree that it could not be sharpened and re-used. A dozen of these could last you the rest of your life . . . .