Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Trying to sharpen Montecs, please help.... >

Trying to sharpen Montecs, please help....

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Trying to sharpen Montecs, please help....

Old 10-23-2007, 08:40 AM
Spike

Default RE: Trying to sharpen Montecs, please help....

I'll second what KodiakArcher and passthru said. They can get scary sharp, with a little patience and the right stone combination. Stick with it, and they will get to the point you can split hair with them.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Steelhead31

What is a good paper grain to use on the sander?

I have 220 grit belts that are used. Not much left on them. Literally you hold the head and lightly place it on the running belt back edge first until you set in down fully and lightly. Counting to 5 is almost to long. Lift it and spin it to the next side. Do it a couple times if you have to, but it will get them razor sharp easier than it is for me to type this. Almost as fast. (I'm a 2 finger typer now! yippy. I even know where most of the keys are too.)

Requires little to no skill (no patience, and you don't have to stick to it)just caution. You don't want the belt to grab the head while your holding it. Mine is variable speed and a good thing to have. More speed means more heat and that's not a good thing.

They make belts to polish glass with. I'm sure you can get them in a 1000 grit if you care to. The 220 I use are close to 400 I'd say.

Old 10-24-2007, 05:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't remember the rpm's of a belt sander, but it's at least 1700. Aint nobody out there that can put 1700 stokes on a head in a minute. Thats 28 per second. And that's the total length of the belt. Most are 21". Stones are maybe 6". Even if you use the whole stone the belt is stoking that head about 100 times per second.

It's more like 3400 andwhy it's so fast and easy. All you have to do is hold it steady.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:25 AM

I'd be scared of taking too much off one side and unbalancing the head. By hand I know that I'm taking exactly the same amount off of each facet but if it's working for you I can't nock it.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:06 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Patriot15

Do yourself a favor and swith to rage 2 blade
Are these easier to sharpen?
Brian
Old 10-24-2007, 05:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

If your seeking a deep penetrating and durable head that all you have to do is touch up after you shoot a deer then stick with montecs. Im sure the rage cant hold a candle to the montec when it comes to durablity. From what I have heard rage are great heads for 1 shot. With aluminum furells and long blades your going to end up replacing most of them unlike the montecs.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:08 PM

Thanks for some great info. My Montecs right now aren't shaving sharp, but they can effortlessly slip through an empty plastic water bottle or aluminum canlike butter. Do you think they are sharp enough as they are?
Old 10-25-2007, 06:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks for some great info. My Montecs right now aren't shaving sharp, but they can effortlessly slip through an empty plastic water bottle or aluminum canlike butter. Do you think they are sharp enough as they are?
Enough? Maybe. I can do the same with a stick. Too many people like Chuck Adams highly recommend using razor sharp heads. Chuck attributes some of his kills to that alone since the hits were poor. I'm thinking the myriad of threads that are started here and other boards of deer hit and lost are in part the result of heads that aren't razor sharp.

Take your 2 fingers and push a butter knife between the 2. Now try it with a razor sharp one. Which one causes the most blood lose? Blood lose is our number one ally.

I'm not spending all that time and money to loose what I'm after for a dull head.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:43 AM

The best test to see if they'll cut blood vessels rather than push them aside is to take several sturdy rubber bands and lightly stretch them between a couple nails (or your finger and thumb if you've got long fingers) and then try to lightly slip the broadhead between the rubber bands as if it were being shot through them. The bands should effortlessly cut and not be pushed out of the way.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:12 PM
Fork Horn

if you call G5 they will send you a dvd on how to sharpen there heads,, they sent me one and my montecs are now sharp its all in how you hold it and stroke it across the stone

Quick Reply: Trying to sharpen Montecs, please help....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.