Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Trying to sharpen Montecs, please help.... >

Trying to sharpen Montecs, please help....

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Trying to sharpen Montecs, please help....

Old 10-21-2007, 06:54 PM

Default Trying to sharpen Montecs, please help....

I have the diamond stone for sharpening Montecs, and just can't seem to put agood edge on them. Don't get me wrong, they are sharp, but aren't shaving sharp. Is there anything I can do, or am I being too critical to want them scary sharp?
Old 10-21-2007, 07:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Trying to sharpen Montecs, please help....

I use a belt sander. 2 minutes and they are scary sharp.
Old 10-21-2007, 07:40 PM

What is a good paper grain to use on the sander?
Old 10-21-2007, 08:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

After the diamond stone strop them on a piece of leather
Old 10-22-2007, 12:56 PM
Fork Horn

unfortunately in my experience I was never able to get them shaving (scary) sharp, don't get me wrong I was able to get them sharp enough to kill a deer but just not that last little bit to qualify them as "scary". I used a diamond stone to get them close and a true whetstone to finish them, but never quite good enough. I've been told it's due the the metal they use to make them, it's just not able to be sharpened to that good of an edge. They are a good head, just not as sharp as some others out there. You may want to check out the new NAP Hellrazors....similar design and scary sharp right out of the package!
Old 10-22-2007, 01:03 PM

With the proper sharpening technique, the Montec can be brought to a frightening level of sharpness.Not easy, but worth it when you consider the long term durability of this head.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:37 PM

I 've useda Smith'sdiamondflat sharpners going from heavy to the fine grit side and then usthe sportsman sharpner from G5 to put a great edge. And it's not the metal they use but the angle of the blade and thickness of it that makes them seem hard to feel shaving sharp.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:39 PM
Fork Horn

Do yourself a favor and swith to rage 2 blade
Old 10-22-2007, 01:48 PM

You have to take them to an appropriate grit of stone. A 750 grit will get them sharp, a 1200 will get them to shave and a 2000 or better will get them surgically scary sharp. G5 is now making a two sided stone (750/1200) just for sharpening the Montecs (or any other 3 blade monolithic head). Cabelas is carrying it.

Old 10-22-2007, 05:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ive used G5's diamond stone, a regular 1200 wet stone with success. It takes a little work but you can get them sharp enough to shave with. I just recently tried something new with good success also. Its called the quick edge sharpener made by Rada cutlery. Just a few swipes per blade and you can shave with it easy. For those who are sharpening challenged or just want to make it quick and easy Id check it out. I used it one montecs and hellrazors with great success. Only cost like $6.50 to!

Quick Reply: Trying to sharpen Montecs, please help....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.