HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   Whisker Biscuit inaccuracy! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/212793-whisker-biscuit-inaccuracy.html)

ParkerTrailblazer 10-18-2007 06:24 PM

Whisker Biscuit inaccuracy!

Does anyone else think their Whisker Biscuit is making their groups inconsistent? I have noticed my groups have spread out since I switched to a whisker biscuit. I only switched because my old fall away broke, and because I didn't have the money to get a decent fall away. Anyways I have been looking at the QAD ultra hunter fall away rest. Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated.
Thanks

TFOX 10-18-2007 06:36 PM

RE: Whisker Biscuit inaccuracy!

I am not a WB fan but if you are suffering from accuracy problems after switching to it.I am going to lean toward a setup problem which is the main problem I have with them.

One of the problems might be that your arrows aren't nocked the same and you are getting more contact with the stiff bristles on some shot more than others.

If you are shooting broadheads and have a spine issue,the WB will magnify it.

passthru79 10-18-2007 06:58 PM

Good suggestions TFOX, one thing it could be also is if its the wrong size bisquite for your arrow. If its a large whole with a small arrow you could get alot of slop in there.

ParkerTrailblazer 10-18-2007 07:07 PM

Well when I shoot my arrows the cock feather is always straight up so none of the feathers hit the black in the WB. And as far as the set up problem I don't know what it would be. Bought the WB from the local Sport shop and had them install it. The size is for carbon arrows.

mobow 10-18-2007 07:13 PM

Are you shooting helical or offset? I'm also betting it's a tuning issue....While I'm not a fan, I haven't see the rest be the SOLE issue to accuracy problems....

ParkerTrailblazer 10-18-2007 07:22 PM

Im shooting offset vanes.

treboryerf 10-18-2007 07:42 PM

The arrow stays in contact with the rest longer than on a drop away which will magnify any form inconsistancies and tunning problems.

Rick James 10-18-2007 08:05 PM

Your issue isn't with the Whisker Biscuit.

loogout1 10-18-2007 08:45 PM

Unless your form is perfect or at least very very consistent, no tork, good follow through etc., the whisker biscuit will magnify any problems you might have. This happens because the arrow is in contact with the wb for the entire length of the arrow. Any slight movement before the arrow clears the rest will affect its trajectory. With a drop away, once you let the string go, the arrow is on its way unimpeded. I shot a wb for years and loved it, but once I switched to a drop away my groupstightened big time and that was that.

Rick James 10-18-2007 09:04 PM

ORIGINAL: loogout1

Unless your form is perfect or at least very very consistent, no tork, good follow through etc., the whisker biscuit will magnify any problems you might have. This happens because the arrow is in contact with the wb for the entire length of the arrow. Any slight movement before the arrow clears the rest will affect its trajectory. With a drop away, once you let the string go, the arrow is on its way unimpeded. I shot a wb for years and loved it, but once I switched to a drop away my groupstightened big time and that was that.
Your arrow is still attached to the string even if the rest has dropped. This still will affect the arrows flight if you tweak the bow somehow.......with or without rest contact during the shot execution that string can and will move. Add in the fact that the string is much further than the pivot point (grip) any movement will be exaggerated by the string as compared to the rest (simple lever principle).

Add in the fact that 99% of dropaways are setup so they drop in the last 1/2" to 3/4" of the draw cycle........and if you video tape 50 shots from the average shooter they are going to creep anywhere from 1/16 to 1/4" on probably 25%+ of their shots without even knowing it. Knowing this creep happens to even world class shooters, is more common when hunting conditions often prevent you from perfect shooting form, and that it makes the rest move.......how does this affect your arrow on that drop away that moves the last 1/2" of the draw cycle when you creep?

If you noticed an improvement in your shooting when going to adropaway from a biscuit it was purely the mental side of the game because you had convinced yourself that you have found the solution. ;)[8D]

Tbone1187 10-18-2007 09:23 PM

I think the wisker is great!!!

tazman7 10-18-2007 09:44 PM

Id hate to say it but its not the whisker biscuit. I have won many 3d shoots and archery leagues shooting one. One thing I would look for on it is to make sure that the hole in the "biscuit" is just slightly larger then your arrows

TFOX 10-18-2007 10:26 PM

Alot of truth RickJames but the WB has contact even after it has left the string but a drop away or conventional rest does not,if setup properly.
IMO,this is kind of the difference between a reflex riser and a deflex riser,small amount but it makes a difference imo.BUT,the difference is a shooters error and not the rest.Just a matter of forgiveness.

If I creep with my fallaway, it won't make a difference because it is setup to be forgiving to creep,I have checked with creep tuning but you are right,some setups are not forgiving to it.

BigJ71 10-18-2007 10:55 PM

I would start from scratch and re-set it up again. Too many people shoot the Whisker Biscuit and suffer no accuracy problems to arbitrarily blame it on the rest.

Somethings not right, do some basic tuning and I bet the problem will surface. I'd start with a simple walk back tune to get your center shot correct, make sure the biscuit is installed level and square to the bow as well as theproper center shot. Check to be sure the hole opening is correct for the size arrows you are shooting...when in doubt go one size bigger. I also like to start with an even tiller and level nock then adjust from there.

Good luck with it, once set up it will give you years of trouble free service.

Straightarrow 10-19-2007 04:01 AM

Does anyone else think their Whisker Biscuit is making their groups inconsistent?
Not here. My groups are as good as they've ever been. However, it's not why a shoot one. I use it because, it's practically indestructable, reliable, durable and quiet (both on the draw and on the shot). It's great because the arrow won't fall off or make noise when the arrow gets bumped. If I need a second shot, the arrow can be loaded quickly and quietly. It does so many things well that a hunter appreciates while hunting.

Are there better rests for target shooting? Probably, but I always make my choices based on the advantages while hunting. Even if it were proven beyond doubt that is was a less forgiving rest, I would still use it and without a second thought.

Arthur P 10-19-2007 07:32 AM

Risking the wrath of the WB crowd, I must say there is no one rest that will work perfectly for everybody. That includes the WB. If it's not allowing you to shoot up to your usual standards, then get rid of it and pick another rest.

I'm still using my old GKF Golden Premier prong rest. It's ancient, as arrow rests go, but it hasn't given me a single reason to even try to find something better.

PABowhntr 10-19-2007 08:12 AM

I'm still using my old GKF Golden Premier prong rest. It's ancient, as arrow rests go, but it hasn't given me a single reason to even try to find something better.
...and here I thought I was the only left shooting this "relic"....;)

My thoughts tend to mirror many of the others here. I have set up thousands of WBs on various bows. I cannot think of one occasion where a tuned WB caused someone to shoot worse than either a conventional rest or a drop-away.

loogout1 10-19-2007 10:04 AM

Uhhh, ok.

ORIGINAL: Rick James

ORIGINAL: loogout1

Your arrow is still attached to the string even if the rest has dropped. This still will affect the arrows flight if you tweak the bow somehow.......with or without rest contact during the shot execution that string can and will move. Add in the fact that the string is much further than the pivot point (grip) any movement will be exaggerated by the string as compared to the rest (simple lever principle).

Add in the fact that 99% of dropaways are setup so they drop in the last 1/2" to 3/4" of the draw cycle........and if you video tape 50 shots from the average shooter they are going to creep anywhere from 1/16 to 1/4" on probably 25%+ of their shots without even knowing it. Knowing this creep happens to even world class shooters, is more common when hunting conditions often prevent you from perfect shooting form, and that it makes the rest move.......how does this affect your arrow on that drop away that moves the last 1/2" of the draw cycle when you creep?

If you noticed an improvement in your shooting when going to adropaway from a biscuit it was purely the mental side of the game because you had convinced yourself that you have found the solution. ;)[8D]

KodiakArcher 10-19-2007 12:41 PM

ORIGINAL: PABowhntr

...and here I thought I was the only left shooting this "relic"....;)

My thoughts tend to mirror many of the others here. I have set up thousands of WBs on various bows. I cannot think of one occasion where a tuned WB caused someone to shoot worse than either a conventional rest or a drop-away.
There's at least 3 of us then; my 3D bow still wears one.

Everyone has covered the topic pretty darn well so I've got nothing to add that hasn't been said by TFOX, Rick James, BigJ or Straight. Excellent explanation of the effects of torque at the string Matt.

TFOX 10-19-2007 03:45 PM

The GKF premier was probably one of the best rest ever,I even have one that I made into a fallaway.[8D]

But I am not using them anymore.

Big John 10-19-2007 07:43 PM

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7d711b3127ccebca506e7293400000030100AaM3LZi2YuG OA

Big John 10-19-2007 07:45 PM

Well, that didn't work.

Rob/PA Bowyer 10-19-2007 08:56 PM

Got ya the link BJ. It's a tiny pic though.

DaRookie 10-19-2007 09:14 PM

ORIGINAL: ParkerTrailblazer

The size is for carbon arrows.

Carbon arrows come in different sizes depending on weight/grains per inch, so there really isn't a "one size fits all for carbon arrows."

Also, if you've had it for a while and this is a recent problem, it may be that the whiskers are becoming worn out and need replacing. Especially, for example if you're shooting a stiffer fletching like Blazer vanes which will cause more wear on the whiskers. This was an issue I had with a WB in the past. I was shooting Blazers and practing (a bunch) and it wore the whiskers out pretty fast.

Like others have said, though, make sure alignment & center-shot are correct as well.

Big John 10-20-2007 04:37 AM

Thanks Rob- Thats Jim Desparts target from Vegas, yes he was using a whisker biscuit.

millerhunter13 10-20-2007 07:18 PM

ORIGINAL: Rick James

Your issue isn't with the Whisker Biscuit.

I agree with Rick cause i am only 14 and i shoot a biscuit and i cant get really good groups at about 27 yards being about 1 inch sometimes, but cant shoot perfect every time so not always that good, but if i can get that then the whisker isnt the issue make sure it is tuned right, and make sure your have the right size bisciut.