Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Why good form

Old 10-17-2007, 04:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Why good form

This has been a topic lately and a rather heated one I might add.

Well,I am going to give a little demonstration as to why we ALL need to learn what proper form is and how it relates to hunting.

We first must learn that balance and alignment is the center point of good form and proper draw length is a must in a target or hunting scenario.

In the video I just made,I am wearing my parka and I use the exact same form I have shown on here many times.I have no problems with clearance and some of that attributes to using a STS on my bow and partly because I have a good grip and forearm position.

We need our feet under our shoulders when we practice without leaning to build muscle memory so our shoulders know what proper alignment is when we can't make that perfect shot in a hunting situation.

You will see me turn in some very uncomfortablepositions and make what would be very good shots on a deer.They are not perfect but will get the job done more than adequately.

I demonstrate shots made with my feet turned,sitting on the groundand sitting in a chair.All shots are at 30 yards except the ones in the red target,those were 20.I also face completely away from the target to simulate a deer coming up from behind.

The first shot I made was low right so to keep it as real as possible,I kept that shot and I hide nothing.I am cold(no warm up)from that point on,I am aiming at the arrow that was low right.

You will see that my arrows impact in a left to right manner and that is a direct result of feet not being square but like I said,they are more than adequate to get the job done.As a matter of fact,all shots except the first and last were within a 2" horizontal line.

I demonstrate at the end how to maintain proper alignment while moving around for angled shots and uphill and downhill shots.

I also show the trees that make it very clear the wind is blowing like crazy,another reason for good solid form.

I have lost my sound for some reason,I did narate it as I was going but I know more about archery than I do electronics and computers.[:'(]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IFd0wPCE1U

Old 10-17-2007, 05:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Why good form

I might add,there is very little back tension releasing going on due to some of the angles(back muscles are already used up),being able to lay into the trigger and squeeze it off is crucial for some hunting shots.

Another reason that I use heavy tension on my releases.Little trigger pull with alot of trigger weight.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:29 PM

Have you ever considered shortening your draw length and using a detachable quiver?
Old 10-17-2007, 08:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

in short, you can shoot 6" groups at 20 yards with horrible form, butthe more consistant you become, the better you will become. I stronly believe that "textbook" form is MUCH easier to execute during the moment of truth (on stand, or on the line), than leaning back too far, anchoring way too far back, or just being uncomfortable and stretched out.

Also, poor form can cause stress on joints, shoulder pain, back pain, and who knows what other kind of pain.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Len

Why would I want too,I maintain proper mechanics with the draw set right and have no contact with my clothes?Plus,I don't have to change back and forth from summer to winter.

AND YES,I have shot shorter and I get way too bunched up and bending the bow arm is not repeatable for me.Good form iswhat iseasiest to repeat.

I do too much crawling around on the ground to worry with a detachable quiver.

heck,some of the shots I take in this video would be impossible if the draw was too long.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Len,this is just 1/4" shorter loop and is already forcing my front shoulder up and forcing my release elbow out.

I know you are a bent bow arm guy but that isn't as easily repeated for me as a straight bow arm.

Trust me,I have tried it all.Hell,I have been down to 26 1/2" draw and out to 29". 28" with a long loop with this bowand 28 1/2" with a longer a-a bow with longer limbs is what fits me best.

OOPS,just realized I am using a different release in this picture,I don't have a pic on the wrist release with the short loop but the results were the same.

Old 10-17-2007, 09:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

But what I do have is a pic with the same release with a longer loop.

Old 10-18-2007, 07:47 AM

Looks better 1/4" shorter. Want to go for 1/2" shorter? I saw definite problems in the video. PM me if you want to discuss anything. I have a lot of respect for your knowledge of archery and would be willing to share thoughts, especially with you.

Form is something that is NOT fixed for every individual. It is a necessarythatitbevery repeatable, but has to be comfortable within certain parameters that fit the natural needs of the shooter.The reasons for certain generic form factors depends on the application.

Old 10-18-2007, 08:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TFOX

You will see me turn in some very uncomfortablepositions and make what would be very good shots on a deer.They are not perfect but will get the job done more than adequately.

I demonstrate shots made with my feet turned,sitting on the groundand sitting in a chair.All shots are at 30 yards except the ones in the red target,those were 20.I also face completely away from the target to simulate a deer coming up from behind.
Excelent way to practice if you are a hunter , and seated shots will tell you if you are over bowed
Old 10-18-2007, 08:58 AM

I think are are some things about form that are critical for hunting. There are other form considerations for target shooters that I think can be a detriment to a hunter.

TFOX, like you said, draw length is very important. It's too bad that most hunters have this at a less than optimal position. This really comes into play when turning to your extreme right or left (much farther than you turned in your video). I agree with Len, that your draw length seems a tad long for hunting. I too shoot with a straight bow arm, but I find a shorter draw length especially beneficial when I'm twisted to my far right, shooting from a tree stand. A shorter draw length also helps keep the string from hitting clothing. This may not be optimal for a target shooter, but a hunter will benefit from it quite often. That said, if your's works and you're not missing opportunities, then it's right for you.

Hand position on the grip is also very important. I've seen far too many beginners have serious trouble with the string hitting their arm, even when shooting the correct draw length. This can often be traced to the grip and elbow position. It's good to learn this properly. Yours appears to be very good for hunting.

I put an even greater emphasis on anchors than most target shooters. Most use a peep which aids in getting the anchor correct. I hunt without a peep, because I can acquire my target much faster and be in position to shoot sooner. I'm positive that I've taken several big game animals because I didn't use a peep. A lot of practice and experimentation with anchors is necessary when not using a peep. This is why I'm not too keen on changing bows frequently. It takes me quite awhile to dial in a good set of anchors unless the ata, limb angles and draw length are exactly the same. The great thing about getting these great anchors is that at the moment of truth, I don't have to think about anything. No centering a sight pin or sight bracket - just shoot.

Target shooters spend a lot of time repeating their pre-shot routine until it's second nature. The problem in hunting is, that you usually can't do most of this stuff. Your stance will vary, you'll be forced to lean, balance with be off and you may even have to cant the bow. The shot will be offered for a varied length of time and unless you want to miss opportunities, you have to ready to shoot quickly.

Target shooters put a lot of emphasis on being properly balanced. As a hunter, I pay no attention to it all, except to practice a lot where my balance is anything but good. I've taken shots standing on one foot, leaning out from my treestand with only my harness holding me in - I also practice this quite a bit. Some friends of mine and myself often engage is a kind archery "horse" game. We do this on a course that has several treestands. The first guy makes up an unusal shot and everyone else has to take it. Closest to the center leads off on the next shot. The one furthest away gets a letter. When you get "horse" you're out unless you can hit the bullseye on an 80 yard shot (usually we don't). You would not believe the shots we practice. I've learned very well where my shots go when I cant the bow or my balance is so far off I'm about to fall.

So, yes I believe form is important, but I firmly believe it's even more important to a hunter's success, to practice varied hunting situations. Practicing what would be considered poor form can be very beneficial when pursuing a moving, thinking animal.

Quick Reply: Why good form

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.