Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Why good form

Old 10-19-2007, 03:53 PM

Default RE: Why good form

Over the years I Have heard a lot of bowhunters say I'm a bowhunter not a target shooter, But hunting with them and working in a archery pro shop I see way they say that, they can't hit a bull in the butt at 10 yards. I have hunted and got to know some big time bowhunters thay are good hunters, but have see them shoot two are three bigs before they get one down and than hit it in the ear are butt and getting it. I see one shoot two big buck in one night and lost both of them found one about a week later dead cut of it's rack off and had it mounted and that year was in a bowhunters mag with his big buck telling every one a diffident story and how great of a bowhunter he is, but i knew how he got it. I over heard a big time recruve shooter so he thinks and other thinking that too in the shop telling some new people he alway shoot two are three deer every year before he gets one. I got mad at him and told him that he shouldn't be saying thing like that and he shouldn't be bowhunting, he thought that was funny, we are not friends any more. Some people are just lucky and can make a bad shot and still get it. I knew the guy that has the second biggest buck in P&Y he has passed away now, but he shot it the butt and was made a big time bowhunter over night in the 60s
Old 10-19-2007, 10:56 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: bowdoc1

Over the years I Have heard a lot of bowhunters say I'm a bowhunter not a target shooter, But hunting with them and working in a archery pro shop I see way they say that, they can't hit a bull in the butt at 10 yards. I have hunted and got to know some big time bowhunters thay are good hunters, but have see them shoot two are three bigs before they get one down and than hit it in the ear are butt and getting it. I see one shoot two big buck in one night and lost both of them found one about a week later dead cut of it's rack off and had it mounted and that year was in a bowhunters mag with his big buck telling every one a diffident story and how great of a bowhunter he is, but i knew how he got it. I over heard a big time recruve shooter so he thinks and other thinking that too in the shop telling some new people he alway shoot two are three deer every year before he gets one. I got mad at him and told him that he shouldn't be saying thing like that and he shouldn't be bowhunting, he thought that was funny, we are not friends any more. Some people are just lucky and can make a bad shot and still get it. I knew the guy that has the second biggest buck in P&Y he has passed away now, but he shot it the butt and was made a big time bowhunter over night in the 60s
I'm not quite sure where you are going with that postbowdoc1. I fall into the "bow hunt only" category as I do not shoot any competitive shoots at all, I only hunt. But I work very hard on my form because no matter what you are shooting at ie: target or animal, you still want to hit what you are aiming at and do it on a consistent basis.

I think TFOX showed us all why good form is important and that being you can't always count on a deer standing right smack in front of you. Sometimes (more often than not) you need to move your body to get into position to make a shot and having good form will allow you to make those shots.

In fact I think form is MORE important to a hunter than a target shooter because of the different shooting positions hunters find themselves in.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Good form to a hunter is crucial but I am not sure I would say more important.I can miss by an inch or three on a deer and the result is the same.I miss by that same amount on a target with all the marbles on the line and the results are not the same.Might cost me several thousands of dollars.

(EDIT,I HAVE NEVER MADE A SHOT WITH THOUSANDS ON THE LINE)Some on this site probably have,I was just trying to make a point .I have shot tournaments that I could have won a thousand but I wasn't in the running for very long.

What might make it more important is that when hunting,there are ethics involved with executing a quick and humane kill.A target cares less.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:37 PM
Site Bouncer

Yeah...I guess you're right. I was thinking more in the lines of when you target shoot you are standing straight and on level ground etc... a very controlled situation.When hunting, your shot may need to be made from all different angles and positions, like you illustrated in your video (very nicely I might add)
Old 10-20-2007, 06:01 AM

We are all target shooter I seen you shootintg a target, a deer is a target. what I was saying some bowhunter don't think they don't need to learn good from to bowhunt are need to shoot that much and tell others they don't need it they are just bowhunters not target shooter and you don't need to learn how to shoot there best they can they just are shooting deer at 10 yards, but some times one gets lucky and shoots a big one and than think they are the best bowhunter in the world and to people they know that has never seen them shoot are hunt, they are great bowhunters because they got a big buck and tell them you don't need to learn good from. What gets me started is when some one says they don't need to know good from, it not that important and don't realy don't need all this to bowhunt deer and they are not a taget shooter. Any one that has stood in there back yard and shot a target are a tin can is a target shooter. Shooting targets is how we learn to shoot, you can't just grab a bow & arrow and go hunting with out shooting it.
I feel you owe it to the game you hunt to be the best you can and most of all to yourself and we do this by shooting targets and learning every thing we can about are sport to shoot at are best.
Old 10-20-2007, 06:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

I was thinking more in the lines of when you target shoot you are standing straight and on level ground etc... a very controlled situation.When hunting, your shot may need to be made from all different angles and positions
BJ

I have been to some 3d shoots where I had to pull every trick in the book out to complete the course.

The ground is as a rule far from level, you have up and down shots, shots from the kneeling position and some courses even have platforms to shoot from.

The only place at some 3d courses that is level is the static line where you warm up

Now indoor spotsthats different and boring to just warm up then shoot 50 arrows at 20 yards.
Old 10-20-2007, 08:31 AM

tfox, that pic where you only took 1/4" off the draw looks terrible. no way i could shoot like that for long - not even long enough to really practice - and all i'm talking is 25 shots (done right). my front shoulder would want to fall off. i can't stand being cramped at full draw. bow won't sit still - how do i know my shoulder is cramped up to the same spot it was last time - and now maybe my feet are a little different on this shot... - my mind won't sit still when i'm not in the 'slot'.
Old 10-20-2007, 09:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Ausie-guy

I was thinking more in the lines of when you target shoot you are standing straight and on level ground etc... a very controlled situation.When hunting, your shot may need to be made from all different angles and positions

The only place at some 3d courses that is level is the static line where you warm up

Sometimes not even then.[&:]
Old 10-20-2007, 09:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bowdoc1

We are all target shooter I seen you shootintg a target, a deer is a target. what I was saying some bowhunter don't think they don't need to learn good from to bowhunt are need to shoot that much and tell others they don't need it they are just bowhunters not target shooter and you don't need to learn how to shoot there best they can they just are shooting deer at 10 yards, but some times one gets lucky and shoots a big one and than think they are the best bowhunter in the world and to people they know that has never seen them shoot are hunt, they are great bowhunters because they got a big buck and tell them you don't need to learn good from. What gets me started is when some one says they don't need to know good from, it not that important and don't realy don't need all this to bowhunt deer and they are not a taget shooter. Any one that has stood in there back yard and shot a target are a tin can is a target shooter. Shooting targets is how we learn to shoot, you can't just grab a bow & arrow and go hunting with out shooting it.
I feel you owe it to the game you hunt to be the best you can and most of all to yourself and we do this by shooting targets and learning every thing we can about are sport to shoot at are best.
This is exactly what this thread is trying to address.Too many of those types,probably not as many on here becasue most that come here are diehards and work very hard but from time to time you hear the statements that you refer to.I am not a target shooter,I am a hunter.

LIke you say,we are all target shooters.
Old 10-20-2007, 12:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

TFox, I am by no means critisizing your form as I am always striving to get mine more repeatable, but I have a question. In some of the shots, it looks like your elbow on your release handis in line with the arrow shaft, yet your forearm is slightly angled up towards your ear and your wrist/hand cocks back down towards the release trigger. What cause this? I thought your arm should more or less be in a straight line with the shaft. Is this because of the type of shots you are taking, or what feels best for you?

Shane

Quick Reply: Why good form

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.