Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Rest suggestions? >

Rest suggestions?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Rest suggestions?

Old 10-17-2007, 02:21 PM

Default Rest suggestions?

I need a new rest. I bought my bow as a "package" that the guy at the bow shop put together on my limited budget.

The bow itself is a Browning with solid limbs and Ive beenquite happy with it. I know its nothing special, but it gets me in the woods and thats all that matters to me. The rest has a label that says HHA sports. This ring a bell? Its a simple drop away rest as I said no frills. Its gotten me deer every year Ive taken it out, and Ive yet to track beyond 75 yards.

I noticed a problem this year when the rubber sheaths over the rest had worn away. Now you can hear the arrow (I shoot carbons with mechanical broadheads. 125g Spitfires are what Ive been using. I know its probably a sin to shoot mechanicals, but Im that hip to the tech side of archery YET...Im trying to learn and dont know the specs to ask for more advice on this) when I draw back and release. Its this gawd awful demonic sound that I know for a fact I wont get a shot with.

So my self preserving self decided torotate the sheaths and keep shooting. Well that didnt work. They rolled back over and went back to their grooves and made an awful sound again. Ive not had any luck trying to replace the sheaths either.

So my question is without getting ultra crazy prices any suggestions on a new rest? Something that I hopefully wont run into this problem with? Or if I need to replace them, then a better line of product that I can easily find new sheaths for?

Im not that much of a tight wad, I just dont have a $150 to drop on a new rest just because its the latest and greatest. Im looking for something reliable and easy to replace parts on if nessecary. Im after the F150 of rests!!!

I appreciate any suggestions and help on this.
Old 10-17-2007, 02:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Rest suggestions?

Have a look at the Hostage rest.

Full containment, no fletching contact plus quick and easy install.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Check out the Limbsaver Fall-Away!
Old 10-17-2007, 04:05 PM

Although there are some really good fall away rests out there, and some of them even provide a degree of arrow containment; the Whisker Biscuit fits the bill for most folks in your situation. I have them on three different bows, and they are tough to beat for hunting applications.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:58 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Roskoe

Although there are some really good fall away rests out there, and some of them even provide a degree of arrow containment; the Whisker Biscuit fits the bill for most folks in your situation.
I would go with the WB or Hostage!
Old 10-17-2007, 07:22 PM
bigcountry

I have alot of experience with Muzzy Zero Effect, TM's and Bodoodles. I like the MZE for its containment. But recently put on a QAD Ultra HD. And really like it so far. I would have tried out the hostage if I shot .3" diameter arrows. But I like skinny arrows and have found skinny arrows don't work well with em.

Old 10-17-2007, 07:42 PM
Fork Horn

WB.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would have tried out the hostage if I shot .3" diameter arrows. But I like skinny arrows and have found skinny arrows don't work well with em.
BC

I had no problems with my AC Super Slims out of the Guardian with the Hostage.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:22 PM
Fork Horn

i've heard alot of good come from the muzzy zero effect. i shoot a ripcord and thats real nice it's aroun $90 and i think thats prolly a lil more than your lookin to spoend but trust me if you do alot of stalkin and walkin though thick nasty shtuff it's worth the extra cash. but other wise i know cabelas has plasic coating you can put on ther and they also have replacement sheathes for your drop away.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/index/index-display.jsp?id=cat600319&navAction=jump&na vCount=1&cmCat=MainCatcat21424&parentType= category&parentId=cat21424
Old 10-18-2007, 06:54 AM
Fork Horn

When I used a drop away in the past and the sheath wore out I just got some heat shrink tubing from the parts store and used it. Just throwing out another option for ya.

Quick Reply: Rest suggestions?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.