Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Darton and Alpine bows question >

Darton and Alpine bows question

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Darton and Alpine bows question

Old 10-22-2007, 10:52 PM

Default RE: Darton and Alpine bows question

I have been a loyal Darton shooter for about seven years now. When I outgrew my first bow, Bear, I decided to shop around. My father had a Darton at the time, new in 1992 and this was 2000, and had never had a problem with it. I researched and found a middle of the year make Darton for a great price. If darton had made it part of their line it would have been a $500+ bow. I got it for $250. It was ahead of it's time. The cam and 1/2 system on that bow is just now being challanged.

Fouryears ago I messed up and split the limb on my bow. I took it to the darton factory and they replaced it for free. Two years ago I got new strings on the bow, string leeches, new cable bar, cable slide, and string loop. With all that they charged me $45.00. Heck of a deal.

Last year my Pop wacked the bottom cam of his bow (same one he bought in 1992) and was told by archery shops that he could not have the bow fixed because that cam style was no longer in production. I talked to Darton and they said that they would fix the bow for little to no cost. I think it was around $40-$50 dollars. Beats paying $500-$700 for a new bow.

Even thoughmy bow is now seven years old, it contends with todays new bows.I am shooting at about 270-280 feet per second. I shoot a heavier arrow and the bow is only at 65lbs. If i were to shoot it at max weight (70lbs) and use a lighter arrow I would go way over 300 fps.

Also, I have never found asmoother shooting, more forgiving bow. I have shot almost every brand out there and can not findone that is as smooth as mine.

Darton stands behind their product and what a great product it is. If you would like to contact them check out www.dartonarchery.com In case you are close to michigan, their shop is located in Hale. Like I said, I have dealt with them several times in the past and they are great people.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:36 AM

You will find that most, if not almost all manufacturers make a fine bow today. Most will also have an assortment of styles to choose from.

In my opinion, what's more important than brand, is to choose a bow shop with the best reputation for good service. If you have a problem with the bow, they are the ones you'll depend on to help you. Even if it's just their ability to setup and tune it better, that will mean much more than the brand. A really good shop will be able to take literally any bow on the market and make it a tack-driver (if you can execute the shot). Shop for a dealer, not a bow. Then buy whatever bow they carry that you like best.

I have owned about 10 brands and I have shot them all about the same. If one was touchier, I could always pin it down to being a more unforgiving design (read - shorter and/or lower brace height or extreme reflex).

Good luck!
Old 10-23-2007, 06:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Straightarrow

You will find that most, if not almost all manufacturers make a fine bow today. Most will also have an assortment of styles to choose from.

In my opinion, what's more important than brand, is to choose a bow shop with the best reputation for good service. If you have a problem with the bow, they are the ones you'll depend on to help you. Even if it's just their ability to setup and tune it better, that will mean much more than the brand. A really good shop will be able to take literally any bow on the market and make it a tack-driver (if you can execute the shot). Shop for a dealer, not a bow. Then buy whatever bow they carry that you like best.
BuT not all manufactures will step in and take charge when needed. Dartons service is next to none. You can tell they really love what they do.It's almost as if they're waiting for someone to help.

Really good shops are hard to find. Just kills me that some manufactures leave it all up to you to find a good one and in the same breath say there's nothing they can do, you have to take it to a shop, they speak for us. Also kills me that there are many so loyal to a brand that they will make up all kinds of excuses for the poor service. You won't experience any of this with Darton.

Darton has proven that one way or another you will receive all the service and then some that's required. I like that very much[8D]Almost makes me want to add the to our christmas card list.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:09 PM

BuT not all manufactures will step in and take charge when needed. Dartons service is next to none.
No doubt that some manufacturers are better than others, but who's "the best", is highly debatable. I can't think of one that hasn't dropped the ball on occassion. The top manufacturers don't stay in business by ignoring customer's needs, but no one is perfect.

The reason I say to choose the shop and not the brand, is because shop owners can have great influence over manufacturers when there's a problem, especially shops that move a lot of bows. A good compromise would be to pick the best shop and then ask the owner which brand's service is the best and why does he say that? If he carries 3 or 4 brands, I'll guarantee at least one of them has excellent service.

I've been saying this for years and I believe it - bow color is a more important decision than bow brand. If someone wants to ponder equipment, they should put their time into considering arrow options. Arrow components and design are far more critical decisions than bow brand.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Straightarrow

I've been saying this for years... If someone wants to ponder equipment, they should put their time into considering arrow options. Arrow components and design are far more critical decisions than bow brand.
I'll give you that one. Straight Arrow