Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

STS help...

Old 10-16-2007, 05:52 PM

Default RE: STS help...

ORIGINAL: Mikey S.

ORIGINAL: Doegirl75

I took the STS off to reassess the bow noise. I apparently forgot what my bow sounded like without the STS. Then I put it back on. I now think it's not necessarily louder, what noise there is a lot shorter in duration and higher pitched. I have no silencers on the string at the moment. I may try some catwhiskers even though I was trying to avoid that. It's not worth a few fps to have a deer duck the arrow and possibly be wounded.
I'm not sure what type of cam system you have, but maybe you could have your shop or a knowledgable bow mechanic check your cam timing and make sure it's all hunky dory.A bow out of time will sometimes sound funny.Most bows today don't need string silencers. I havent' used any sort of those for maybe 8 years. Look at your rest, sight etc. and see if anything could be vibrating. Good thinking on the deer jumping the string too. It's even more critical at longer ranges, like beyond 25 yards or so. They have more time to react to that noise.
Binary cam system. That cat whiskers did make a difference. I only used 1 strip and halved it for my silencers. My hunting setup is lucky to hit 220fps, so bambi has plenty of time to drop before my arrow gets there.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:04 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Mikey S.

I took the STS off to reassess the bow noise. I apparently forgot what my bow sounded like without the STS. Then I put it back on. I now think it's not necessarily louder, what noise there is a lot shorter in duration and higher pitched. I have no silencers on the string at the moment. I may try some catwhiskers even though I was trying to avoid that. It's not worth a few fps to have a deer duck the arrow and possibly be wounded.
I'm not sure what type of cam system you have, but maybe you could have your shop or a knowledgable bow mechanic check your cam timing and make sure it's all hunky dory.A bow out of time will sometimes sound funny.Most bows today don't need string silencers. I havent' used any sort of those for maybe 8 years. Look at your rest, sight etc. and see if anything could be vibrating. Good thinking on the deer jumping the string too. It's even more critical at longer ranges, like beyond 25 yards or so. They have more time to react to that noise.
Binary cam system. That cat whiskers did make a difference. I only used 1 strip and halved it for my silencers. My hunting setup is lucky to hit 220fps, so bambi has plenty of time to drop before my arrow gets there.

People hunted for decades with bows that shot less than 200fps Doegirl! No arrow travels faster than the speed of sound. If your comfortable and consistent, it doesn't matter. Accuracy and good shot selection will get you more deer than speed will.

have a good one!
Old 10-17-2007, 05:01 AM

My hunting setup is lucky to hit 220fps
Your's is about 10 fps faster than mine, and I've never had an animal "duck" an arrow. Most of my shots are real close and the animal doesn't really stand a chance if the arrow is on target and the animal isn't about to run as I release. The closer you get, the louder your bow will sound to the animal. This is why I have an STS, 3 sets of cat whiskers, and rubber silencers all over my bow. No such thing as "too quiet".