Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 does bow shoot same from ground as tree? >

does bow shoot same from ground as tree?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

does bow shoot same from ground as tree?

Old 10-13-2007, 08:56 PM
Spike

Default does bow shoot same from ground as tree?

I was told a while back that if you sight a bow in on the ground it should hit the same as in a tree. Is this true or does it shoot a bit higher from a tree. I have shot several deer with a 20 yd pin from about 5 to 10 yards out and I always hit them higher than I aim. I bend at the waist so I thought I either needed a 10 yd pin (i'm shooting 70 yds) or the bow shoots higher from the tree than on the ground.

I would think gravity would make the arrow fall the same distance whether from a tree or the ground. Does anybody have a physics explanation/answer to this?
Old 10-14-2007, 03:21 PM

Default RE: does bow shoot same from ground as tree?

your arrow will hit higherfrom a tree.aroows not working against gravity as much
Old 10-14-2007, 05:40 PM
Typical Buck

Gravity acts on your arrow the same at ground level as it does from an elevated position..........the reason most people shoot high is not bending at the waist........but also the target, if ranged from high up in a tree , may be lets say 22 yards and if the same target was ranged at ground level from the base of the tree to the target may be only 19 yards, the ground level distance is the true distance that gravity will have an effect on the arrow.......that is why your arrow impacts higher from an elevated position, because your aiming for the longer yardage, when you should be aiming for the "true" distance to the target.
Old 10-14-2007, 05:56 PM
Spike

so you are saying that if you sight a bow in on the ground then you should use the distance from the base of the tree to the deer when shooting from a tree? This is what I do.

What about if a deer is right below you, say 5 yards from the base of a tree. The arrow won't really drop so much as it will just go faster because the angle is so steep (hope that makes sense). So what does the arrow do when shooting at these steep angles as far as drop is concerned, what pin should I use and will it hit high?
Old 10-14-2007, 07:04 PM
Typical Buck

Most bows nowadays have no need for any pin less than 20 yards as they are fast enough that the difference in POI at 5 yards and 20 is negligable.........on shots from the tree you are correct in using your pins sighted for the true distance to the animal (sight on a flat plane)........just remember on steep angled shots to aim for the arrow to exit, in other words you want to aim a bit high on the facing side of the animal so that the exit will be low thru the off side but still hit all the vitals.
Old 10-14-2007, 07:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

About 2"s for me.
Old 10-14-2007, 08:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

just remember on steep angled shots to aim for the arrow to exit, in other words you want to aim a bit high on the facing side of the animal so that the exit will be low thru the off side but still hit all the vitals.
Not exactly right put the pin where you want the arrow to exit the arrow will hit slightly higher on the side facing you but will exit where you have the pin.

Remember the old saying aim for the exit hole and no I dont mean the butt
Old 10-14-2007, 09:22 PM
Typical Buck

That is also another good reason that if you are going to invest in rangefinders to get the ones that will give you true distance at any angle.
Old 10-15-2007, 04:34 AM

When using rangefinders, simply range the distance to a level point. If you're 20 ft up a tree, range to another tree, at a point 20 ft up. Also, if the animal is real close to the tree 3-4 yards, the arrow hasn't had a chance to reach the height of the sight-line. Because of this phenomenon, you have to aim high with a 20 yard pin.

If you're only 10-15' up a tree and the deer out 25-30 yards, the difference in level distance isn't enough to worry about. It's only when you're up real high and/or the deer is real close that you will find it important to know the level distance.

The best way to get used to this, is to practice a lot out of treestands. I usually take a couple thousand shots each summer out of tree stand to target anywhere from a few yards to 60 yards. I'm shooting heavy arrows (650 gr) and even with my relatively slow arrows, I don't have to worry about most shots. It's only a yard or two difference from the level distance, on most shots from a treestand. Proper form is more important.