Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 problems with do it myself fletchin >

problems with do it myself fletchin

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

problems with do it myself fletchin

Old 09-29-2007, 10:31 AM
Fork Horn

Default problems with do it myself fletchin

Ijust bougt a 4 degree right arizona ez fletch. Im using fletch tite glue in the silver tube with blue writing. I dont seem to be getting good adhesion on my carbons and when i put more glue on, it just runs out the sides. I was also told at the pro shop to use some bohining shaft prep stuff, but dont have it beside me and cant remember what its called. It supposed to help the glue adhear. I have been using it, but it doesnt help.

Also will that 4deg helical slow down my arrow or cost me kinetic energy.

Any tips would be appreciated. I just decided to start fletching my own arrows so am fairly clueless

Thanks
WV
Old 09-29-2007, 11:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: problems with do it myself fletchin

Most of your problems come from using the wrong glue.

Get some super glue gel and try them again.
Old 09-29-2007, 02:35 PM

i had the EXACT same problem using that fletcher and glue.

Just switch glues...it works best with a super glue type. i use the AAE stuff in the little tube...don't know what it's called....

Experiment until it works!!
Old 09-29-2007, 03:23 PM
Fork Horn

i picked up easton's fletch glue, i paid 4 bux for the bottle, and after gettign some on my fingers and smelling it i sadly realized its nothign more then loctite superglue.. (non gel,,, i like it b/c it is super quick to set and dry and flows better when wiping up excess)

i litterally set the arrow in the jig.. clamp my fletch,, run a bead of glue, stick it, wait 2 seconds with even pressure, pull the arrow out and check for excess and straightness, and move on to the next fletch,, really quick (nice when you doing 6 or 12 arrows at a pop) and havnt had a fletch come off yet...

i just wraped my hunting arrows and we will see how the fletch/glue take to the "plastic" wrap stickers.
Old 09-30-2007, 11:29 AM
Typical Buck

One thing you may do also is to rough up the arrow shaft with a piece of 400 grit sandpaper where your fletching goes and then wipe off the dust. Doing this gives the glue a better surface to adhere to.
Old 09-30-2007, 01:16 PM
Typical Buck

sanding the shafts doesn't do that much....
you're better off cleaning the shaft with alcohol, don't clean the base of the vanes
use superglue or goat tuff and use just a little amount and smear it open.
if you're shooting through a WB, put a drop of glue in front and on the back of the vane.

F.
Old 09-30-2007, 01:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

All is good advise. Just make sure your shaft is clean with alcohol and I scuff the vanes (only where you are going to put your glue) with 250 grain sand paper and clean them too with alcohol.. I've tried every fletching glue on the market, nothing works for me like Super Glue gel. Good luck.
Old 09-30-2007, 06:49 PM
Typical Buck

Sanding the surface of the shaft does do alot for getting the fletchings to stick. Just because you havent done it doesnt mean it wont help.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:09 PM
Fork Horn

sand and rubbing alcohol. probably too much glue on them also. run a thin even bead down them. i put super glue (brush on type is awsome cause you can keep using it and putting cap back on) on the fronts and rears of fletch. i use same glue with a straight AZ fletcher no problems
Old 09-30-2007, 08:14 PM
Typical Buck

Been using aae fast set gel for years works great,also clean arrows alcahol after roughing them up a bit in the vane area,i used to use sandpaper but now an sos or brillo pad works nice just wash all the soap of first and your left with a fine grade steel wool pad,works great.