Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Peep sight question >

Peep sight question

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Peep sight question

Old 09-23-2007, 10:18 PM
Fork Horn

Default Peep sight question

I recently installed a new peep sight on my bow. I removed the one with the tube because i was kinda worried about it snapping and hitting me in the eye. How do you setup a peep sight that does not have the tube on it? It looks fine when rested but when i draw the bow back it twists and i cant see through it. I shoot witha release so i cant just twist it with my fingers.

Thanks
Old 09-23-2007, 11:47 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Peep sight question

ive messed with them alot and always end up back with the tube, but if you draw it back have someone put a little touch of whiteout on the string where your eye would be, reinstall it so its where the whiteout is.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:13 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: tremolo

I recently installed a new peep sight on my bow. I removed the one with the tube because i was kinda worried about it snapping and hitting me in the eye. How do you setup a peep sight that does not have the tube on it? It looks fine when rested but when i draw the bow back it twists and i cant see through it. I shoot witha release so i cant just twist it with my fingers.

Thanks
Do you have a rope loop on your string? I would suggest a loop if you don't but anyhow ........Do you have access to a bow press?Put the bow in a press and twist the string until the peep is slightly turned to the left as you look at the bow from behind as if you where drawing it. So when you draw with your release it should square up. A second way is to have a loop tied on at a slight offset angle to the string and when you hook your release onto the loop even thought it is offset when you draw back the loop is directly behind the string and squares the peep. I believe there was few posts on how to do theses 2 ways. One more thing any good archery pro shop should know how to fix it an a blink of an eye. Good luck
Old 09-24-2007, 08:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Something I have noticed over the years is that most factory string don't have near the twists in them that they should have. This in itself leads to instability. You have all those strands acting individually. Twisting the string up so there is at least one complete turn per 2" of string length helps tighten the bundle so the strands work as a unit better.

This will have some side effects. Depending on how the string was made it'll take a while for the strands to stretch so they are all the same length. Then it should stabilize. Twisting makes the string smaller in diameter so serving will get loose and slide or separate. Then you have to reserve everything. This also shortens the draw length so you may have to twist the cable up accordingly to maintain draw length and then readjust the weight.

I used to conform to the idea of "training the string". That's moving strands around till the peep roills to the right position all the time, but...........

The best answer is a good set of aftermarket strings that are made properly in the first place. Gibblet on this site makes some very high quality strings and at a reasonable price. Pick your colors and should you have any issues his customer service is outstanding, too. Do this and I'd almost guarantee that peep rotation problems dissolve. Your bow will stay in tune much longer, too.