Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Ordered bow with wrong draw weight. >

Ordered bow with wrong draw weight.

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Ordered bow with wrong draw weight.

Old 09-22-2007, 11:23 AM

Default Ordered bow with wrong draw weight.

I recently ordered a Guide series huneter bowtech bow from gander mountain. I wanted 70 pound draw but I got a 60 pound. I love the bow and archery season is one week away and I want to use it this season. What do I need to do to change the weight of the bow to 70 pounds and how costly would it be?
Old 09-22-2007, 11:34 AM

Default RE: Ordered bow with wrong draw weight.

I'd wait til after the season... 60lb will take down any deer you can find... as long as your groups are accurate, stick it out... you're only missing out on a few fps... iirc, all you're gonna need is a different set of limbs... call gander and get 'em ordered now so they are here by the time you fill your tags...
Old 09-22-2007, 04:56 PM
Host of Hosts

What do I need to do to change the weight of the bow to 70 pounds and how costly would it be?
I bought limbs from Bowtech last year to lighten my draw weight due to a shoulder injury. It was approximately 120.00. But before you do buy new limbs think about what dave38 said about a 60 lb bow being able to kill any deer around. Don't risk injury to yourself for a few fps. I see alot of guys thinking they want all that draw weight then end up out of archery after a few years. Think about it!
Old 09-23-2007, 11:37 AM

More importantly, a 70 lb bow requires different arrows than a 60 lb bow does. If the arrow are a perfect match for your 60 lber, they won't be for the 70 lb bow. That said, very few people shoot arrows that are perfectly matched, and many still manage to take deer. However, it is something to think about.
Old 09-23-2007, 02:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not only is 60# enough for any deer, it's enough for any critter walking this continent.

Using a correctly spined arrow for each weight means there is little or any speed gain between 60# and 70#. Usually over time the only "speed" you're likely to notice is how fsat your shoulders deteriorate.

Most young guys would argue this, but some of the older guyswill agree that it takes a little more intelligence to leave your testosterone at home. The reason we know this is because we been there and done that---and paying the price in pain pills today, and surgeries.
Old 09-23-2007, 04:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

First crank it down. Many are not what they claim and often more. Second, the strings can be manipulated so the bow will pull 90 pounds if you want. Don't know if I would do it on purpose though. A longer string is all that's needed.

Just ship me the bow, call it a life lesson and get the right one.
Old 09-23-2007, 07:30 PM

Most bows can exceed the max poundage with little more than a twist on the string and cables. Your bow could be shooting a poundage above 60# with some simple adjustments. But the above advice is true 60# can take down most every big game animal with a well placed broadhead.
Old 09-23-2007, 07:40 PM
Typical Buck

I agree with everybody i would stick to 60lbs thats what my nex bow will be
Old 09-24-2007, 06:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Personally 60 pounds is a toy for me. If you want more there's no reason not to get it. I really don't understand why people give the advise, "you don't need more" as if it's a bad thing.

I lied. I do understand.

Old 09-25-2007, 05:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Order the heavier DW limbs if you want them. I'm not sure why people need to give their $.02 instead of just answering a person's question every time someone asks about what to do to increase DW. Furthermore, why do people always claim it's some sort of testosterone fueled, or macho,reasonthat a person wants to shoot 70#'s?

For as much preaching as some of the guys do about momentum and such why wouldn't you want the rig that produces the highest amount? Sure, when you switch to a higher DW you usually increase arrow weight.As a result,isn't that a good thing that you can shoot a heavier arrow at the same speed as a lighter one? Am I missing something here? I'd rather have the extra momentum and KE if a good shot turns bad. There are still a lot of guys in their 50's, and probably older,that shoot 70 lbs with no ill effects.

Quick Reply: Ordered bow with wrong draw weight.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.