Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 twisting string? >

twisting string?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

twisting string?

Old 09-24-2007, 12:14 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: twisting string?

Yea thats what I am trying to say most one cams have one string all the way around the idler wheel back to the cam again. Mine has a dual track idler wheel. It goes from the cam up to the half way around the idler wheel, then another string starts, and goes back down to the cam. Those would both be considered the string wouldn't they? I mean if you twist a regular idler wheel bow it is the whole string, if you twist a dual track idler wheel bow it would have to be both strings to be equal. Is that right?
Old 09-24-2007, 07:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

See if I can make this understandable. On your bow you have a string, a control cable and a split (yoke) cable. Am I right? I would think that for all intent and purposes the control cable and string act as one. But instead of being one string they just anchor separatedly at the idler. Pearson had this configuration in 2001. The biggest advantage to this system is that there may be less string creep because the string/cables are shorter in the first place.

Anyway, I'm thinking that twisting either or both of these would shorten the draw length and change the rotation of the cam. Twisting the split cable would do the opposite as usual and increase the draw length. How twisting the control cable would affect the cam timing is something I don't know, but I', thinking that doing the string and/or the control cable would shorten the draw length. Sure it's going to change cam orientation, but that's the price to be paid for optimizing one's draw length.

Now someone enlighten me as to whether I'm wrong.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:08 AM
Fork Horn

yea thats what I was talking about. The timing marks on my hoyt are on the idler wheel, and there is a pretty good range it can be in so shortening my draw length it shows its still in time. Does anyone have a hoyt bow with the versa cam and the dual track idler wheel? If so let me know if you think anywhere in between those 2 marks is still in time.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

The versacam has 2 cables and 1 string , although the top wheel is concentric , it is considered a cam because , a string and a cable terminate on posts on the "cam" , having 2 cables and a string is a plus , as you have a shorter , stabler string , that is less prone to stretch .

I think pearson had a similar camed bow for a year or 2 , sure did look like a single cam , without a 100 inch string , pretty good idea at the time .
Old 09-24-2007, 11:39 AM

ORIGINAL: BGfisher
Now someone enlighten me as to whether I'm wrong.
As usual, you're spot on.