HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   Bowtech draw weight adjustment (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/207801-bowtech-draw-weight-adjustment.html)

Doegirl75 09-19-2007 07:19 PM

Bowtech draw weight adjustment

Do Bowtechs come from the factory set at max poundage? Reason I ask is that I checked my poundage on the bow scale and it reads 46lbs. The birth certificate says 51. I have not played with the draw weight, and neither has the proshop to my knowledge. So could it actually be 46lbs or do I have a screwy scale? I had a Parker Challenger that was supposed to be 50lbs, with my draw length it maxed out at 45lbs. I hope I'm not encountering the same problem[&:]

passthru79 09-19-2007 07:22 PM

RE: Bowtech draw weight adjustment

Id say your scale is off. I got my bowtech and the birth certificate read 70.5lbs or something like that but my scale only read 68. I have two ross bows now and both are maxed out and my scale shows them at 69lbs, my buddies scale show them at 72lbs. Its not too likely they will sell a bow that is that far under weight. Id try it on a different scale and go from there.

PABuck_HNTR 09-19-2007 07:28 PM

How old is the bow? Has it been shot enough yet for the string to strech? A few twists in the string can increase your draw weight if it has streched a little.

Doegirl75 09-19-2007 07:32 PM

ORIGINAL: PABuck_HNTR

How old is the bow? Has it been shot enough yet for the string to strech? A few twists in the string can increase your draw weight if it has streched a little.
2 months old. Guesstimate approximately 500shots. I could of had it double checked @ the shop today but it just completely slipped my mind. Now I get to worry about it.

davepjr71 09-20-2007 06:08 AM

If you have a spring scale I'd bet it's off. I have the same problem with my spring scale and if it was off for your other bow it will be off with this one.Mine reads 4-5 lbs below what the bow is actually at. I'd check it with a good digital scale before messing with adjusting anything. You shouldn't loose 5 lbs with the string and cables on Bowtechs.

txjourneyman 09-20-2007 06:13 AM

You may also want to make sure the limbs are bottomed out. A couple turns makes abig difference. I know this is obvious but it may have been overlooked.

bowdoc1 09-20-2007 04:04 PM

My birth certificate said 71 Lbs, but my scale said 65 Lb my scale has been alway right in the past. One reason I think my scale right is that the arrows I'm shooting are on the light side for 65 Lbs,but in range at 71 Lbs be to light. I'm shooting great shooting 2 inch groups at 40 yard with broadheads. One pin good for 10 to 30 yards 3 inch high at 10 and 3 inchs low at 30 yards. It's very fast, shooting a clean hole in paper and quit. The arrow are flying to good to be at 71 Lbs

Doegirl75 09-20-2007 06:49 PM

An update. I checked the poundage on an electronic scale: 46.5lbs[&o]. Was able to muscle1/2 turn on each of the limb bolts. I'm now to 49lbs. If those limbs can go any further, which I doubt, it'll have to be done by someone stronger then me. My ATA and brace height is right on the nose (33.25 and 7.25"), so I don't think I'm dealing with string creep. 49lbs is close 'nuff in my book for 50lb limbs.

davepjr71 09-21-2007 04:48 AM

I wouldn't worry about cranking down anymore on the bolts if they are aas far in as they'll go.

It seems as if 51, 61 or 71 lbs are the standard DW's that Bowtech puts on the certificates. My bow had 71 and actually maxes at 75 lbs.