Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Drop Away Rest

Old 09-12-2007, 01:06 PM
Typical Buck

Default Drop Away Rest

Ive been thinking about going to a drop away rest. I was thinking does it matter how the arrow is nocked? Which vane is up down or whatever. I didn't know if it would make a difference. A friend of mine offered me a brand new shaky hunter drop away that he cant use and was going to give me.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:50 PM

Default RE: Drop Away Rest

Theoretrically? No, it doesn't matter. The whole concept behind a dropaway is the fact that the rest drops down before the fletchings contact it.

However, this is not always the case. Sometimes you may have to try cock-vane up, down, left, right, etc to get perfect flight. Fletchings may be hitting on the cables or so forth.

A common misconception I read is that some think a dropaway should drop as soon as the the release is triggered. Not true, the rest still has to guide the arrow but then drop before the fletchings contact it.

I would take the rest if your buddy was going to give it to you. Good deal.
Old 09-12-2007, 06:02 PM

I've been shooting a shaky hunter and it don't matter witch way the cock feather is they all clear for me, but I did add a Simms pad and arrow rest.
Old 09-13-2007, 05:56 AM
Spike

I would suggest getting a lock down. I originally had one that was not a lock down and it would bounce up and hit my fletchings.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good rest at a good price. What rest are you shooting now? And how soon before your season starts? I don't know that I'd start tinkering with my hunting setup unless you're confident you can get it tuned in time for your season.
Old 09-13-2007, 04:08 PM

The way I've understood it was that the drop away's must be tuned just like all other rests. I have a QAD Ultra and love it. Of course the company I bought my bow from installed all my junk. I have a WBQS on my other bow and like it also. It just depends on what you like I guess. Best of luck.
Old 09-13-2007, 05:32 PM
Fork Horn

My shaky hunter it didn't mater about the cock feather up or down. I used small diameter Quik Spin vanes. The larger diameter vanes might be an issue with cock feather down. The things I found with my Shaky hunter was bounce back. it dropped far enough but would bounce back up and make a thump doing so. I put some hot glue and mole skin under the drop arm and it seemed to help make it more quiet and I never tried a large profile vane cock feather down again to see if I fixed the bounceback problem.
Over all the shaky hunter is a good rest, most drop aways make some noise. Still looking for one that is silent, Until then, the price is right and if you shoot cock feather up you should have no troubles.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:28 PM
Spike

As you can see in my signature I use a Muzzy Zero Effect arrow rest have had one since I got this bow and would not change for anyrthig. The rest rises and drops with your cable slide so I guides the arrow wonderfully. There are many other good ones out there and I highly recommend a fall away.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:30 PM

I have a PSE drop away and I found that it works best with the cock fletch out. When I had it up, I found that I was getting contact with the cables. I would suggest sprayingthe fletching of an older arrow with foot powder and shooting the cock fletch a couple different ways and seeing if you get any rubs.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Nothing like using a drop away and that's a perfect deal to find out for yourself . I use the Qad Ultra Pro and I don't worry which way my arrow's nocked .
Take that rest and you'll be glad you did.

nubo

Quick Reply: Drop Away Rest

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.