Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 2 Blade vs. 3 Blade >

2 Blade vs. 3 Blade

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

2 Blade vs. 3 Blade

Old 09-10-2007, 10:37 AM

Default 2 Blade vs. 3 Blade

i have always wanted to try the 2 blade broadheads. I would also like to get alittle heavier arrow setup. My set up now is really good but just alittle light for my liking. I seems that the 2 blade's are heavier. Do you feel that they are just as good as 3 blade's? I am just hesitant in that they will open them up to let a good blood trail. What are your thought's with the 2 blades vs. the 3 blades?
Old 09-10-2007, 11:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 2 Blade vs. 3 Blade

I have never tried theRage Broadhead, but I have read very good reviews on the Rage 2 in.

Thisis awebsiteabout theRage broadhead.

http://mikehanback.blogs.com/bigbuckzone/2006/03/new_rage_broadh.html
Old 09-10-2007, 11:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

5 Shot just did a review of Rage in the main Archery forum.

Don't discount 4 blades either the muzzy mx-4 is an awesome head!
Old 09-10-2007, 11:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

I am using the Muzzy Phantom SS they come as a 220gr head but I took out the 2 smaller blades to leave me with a 200gr head they fly like lazers and have some serious hitting power.

The blades are .040 thick so they have some serious bone breaking ability.
Old 09-10-2007, 04:02 PM

If i were to try the 2 blade muzzy i am assuming that i just screw them in. Unlike my 3 blades now where i align them with my feathers.
Old 09-10-2007, 04:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: esmith3102

If i were to try the 2 blade muzzy i am assuming that i just screw them in. Unlike my 3 blades now where i align them with my feathers.
Yes.
Plus the aligning the blades with vanes/feathers is just a old wives tail and does not have any effect on arrow flight and is basicly a pain in the rear to get aligned
Old 09-13-2007, 08:00 PM
Spike

I never have used two blades but ol' Pappa Bearruined alotof deer's day with them before he saw a need to develop the four blade. I know alot of outfitters in Texas will not let you use a two blade because they seem to think the wound entrance and/or exit will close up easier and result in the loss of the animal or a harder tracking job.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:31 PM
Fork Horn

i shot a deer a few years back using a muzzy two blade and hit back near the rear leg and messed her up so she couldnt run then i shot her again in the ribs slight 1/4 too me but i wanted to put another one in her and the deer layed down and i sat and watched it for about ten minutes looked like it was gonna die and i only had one arrow left in my quiver. i turned to watch this buck and turned back and she was walking off with two arrows sticking out the other side of her. 3hrs later i went looking for her and found both arrows and decent blood within 50yrds and looked up and she was walking off slow so came back about 10hrs later and not one drop of blood from the last spot she layed down. i looked for along time with three other guys and did tons of drive one that area that year and never found anything. that was the last time i shot fixed heads and also the last time i ever lost a deer. one other deer i shot before that one that year had poor blood trail. i know there have been plenty of deer taken with them but why chance it.
Old 09-14-2007, 04:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

i shot a deer a few years back using a muzzy two blade and hit back near the rear leg and messed her up so she couldnt run then i shot her again in the ribs slight 1/4 too me but i wanted to put another one in her and the deer layed down and i sat and watched it for about ten minutes looked like it was gonna die and i only had one arrow left in my quiver
Why blame the broad head when you made 2 bad shots?
You still had an arrow left you should have used that one to put the deer down for good.

I have taken a lot of big game animals with 2 blade broad heads including a 2000lb Asian Water Buffalo, put the arrow where it needs to go and it will do the job.
Old 09-14-2007, 04:14 AM

I seems that the 2 blade's are heavier.
Some are, but most are available in the typical weight configurations. If you want more weight, you can simply add more weight to the insert.

One advantage to many of the 2-blade designs are the thickness of the blades. Thick blades do not bend as easily when they hit bone. This can make a big difference on a less than optimal hit. However, putting a skimpy 100 gr 2-blade head on, doesn't offer much advantage other than possibly a bit more penetration on good hits.

There are tradeoffs with each design. None work best in all situations, though most work adequately when the hit is a good one on a medium sized animal like a whitetail. Most rib hits with a two-blade should be passthroughs unless your setup is a very low energy one, or something's not tuned right.

In general, more blades increases the momentum it takes to get a passthrough. More blades usually equals a greater chance of wind affecting their flight, bone deflecting their path and their thinner blades breaking. On the plus side, more damage is done per inch of penetration and the wounds tend to bleed longer when using more blades .

For me, hitting the ribs exactly where I want and getting a complete passthrough, usually results in a deer that dies within 7-14 seconds. The thick 2-blade designs usually give me the best chance of this happening. This year I'll be shooting the thicker Muzzy Phantoms in their 2-blade configuration out of both my recurve and my compound.

Quick Reply: 2 Blade vs. 3 Blade

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.