Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 How many paper tune each arrow >

How many paper tune each arrow

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

How many paper tune each arrow

Old 08-21-2007, 07:51 PM
bigcountry

Default How many paper tune each arrow

I was taught this by len, and told to shoot each arrow 3 times spinning the arrow 120degrees for each paper tune shot. It has greatly helped me eliminate fliers and unexplained issues. And keeps me from tuning a bow with a bad arrow. Bad news is out of a 12 Carbon express Edge 350's, I have found 3 that fail this test. Basially on 2 of them, 2 sides seem to shoot great but one side produces a tear showing weak spine or nock left tear about1/2" or less. So it has a weak side. One produces a weak reaction on two of the three side, and ok on the last. Rest are fine.

But I have found this a good way to test. Thinking of calling Carbon Express and complaining. Cause I switched to them from Beman black max, and had the same results from them for years. Only difference is the edges seem to spin test much better.

Old 08-21-2007, 07:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How many paper tune each arrow

Big;

Seems to me, that from other posts I have read, and other reliable sources I have talked to, that your findings with those Carbon Expresses are about right on par for carbon arrows as a whole. As you no doubt know, carbon arrows don't quite have the exact tolerences that Aluminum does, nor any type of ACC, CCA, etc etc arrow. Most folks, quite hoenstly, don't have good enough form/release to figure out for themselves what you are/have been doing.

Good information and a very good post. Thanks for sharing it, I think I'll check some of mine myself.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:12 PM

how do un paper test and still the target?
Old 08-21-2007, 08:24 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

Big;

Seems to me, that from other posts I have read, and other reliable sources I have talked to, that your findings with those Carbon Expresses are about right on par for carbon arrows as a whole. As you no doubt know, carbon arrows don't quite have the exact tolerences that Aluminum does, nor any type of ACC, CCA, etc etc arrow. Most folks, quite hoenstly, don't have good enough form/release to figure out for themselves what you are/have been doing.

Good information and a very good post. Thanks for sharing it, I think I'll check some of mine myself.
I think sooner or later, I am going to have to go for it and by carbon tech rhinos XP. I know a person or two who claim they are great consistency. They better be at that price.

I was really hoping for for better performance from them. They are staight, I give them that.

Old 08-21-2007, 08:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do with competition arrows. It's a great way to really get an idea on what each arrow is doing and is much easier for the average person to do as compared to arrow tuning out of a hooter shooter.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't. I use my spine tester to find the stiffest side on all my arrows before fletching them. Put the cock feather right on top of the stiffest portion of each arrow.

You're doing the same thing I'm doing, just a different way of getting there. Extra steps you really didn't have to worry about with aluminum.

Isn't it amazing though how far we've progressed! Back in the days of wood arrows, we had to use spine testers to get a matched set of shafts and were constantly checking them for cracks while we were shooting. And now... uh... HEY! We're back where we started from!

Old 08-22-2007, 07:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

I think sooner or later, I am going to have to go for it and by carbon tech rhinos XP. I know a person or two who claim they are great consistency. They better be at that price.

I was really hoping for for better performance from them. They are staight, I give them that.
Actually that is another thing Len said. Find a quality arrow and then you will not have to "spine test" each one. I use carbon tech whitetail xp's and have found them to be extremely consistant.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:46 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: brucelanthier
Actually that is another thing Len said. Find a quality arrow and then you will not have to "spine test" each one.
For the most part, yes. But even the best arrows are not perfectly spine consistent across a dozen, and not all are spine consistent within each shaft itself (stiff/weak side). But generally, you get what you pay for.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:03 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: brucelanthier

Find a quality arrow and then you will not have to "spine test" each one. I use carbon tech whitetail xp's and have found them to be extremely consistant.
They better be. How much are they? 150 a dozen. But I have put alot of time into paper for each one. In the end, it would be worth it. Next year, I will morgage my house and by a dozen.

Old 08-22-2007, 09:04 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Arthur P
Isn't it amazing though how far we've progressed! Back in the days of wood arrows, we had to use spine testers to get a matched set of shafts and were constantly checking them for cracks while we were shooting. And now... uh... HEY! We're back where we started from!
Yep, thats what I am thinking.

Quick Reply: How many paper tune each arrow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.