Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 What to use for archery backstop? >

What to use for archery backstop?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

What to use for archery backstop?

Old 08-11-2007, 02:25 PM
Fork Horn

Default What to use for archery backstop?

I need to set up a backstop in my back yard. Im just curious what every one uses for a backstop. I was gonna use haybales but I kinda want something longer lasting. I seen some 8' X 4' rubber stall mats at TSc that were I think 1/2 or 5/8 inch thick and really tough. They were $40. They would last a long time but might not work well, I dunno.

Anyone have any ideas?
Old 08-11-2007, 03:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: What to use for archery backstop?

I like to use a 150 class buck myself....
I don't use anything but Morrell targets, I never use a back stop. Hay in my case is not good, because my arrows fly though hay.

Old 08-11-2007, 04:05 PM
Fork Horn

No back stop here either. I use a Pacific Bow Butts target which is compressed straw and weighs in at 70 lbs.
Old 08-11-2007, 04:44 PM
Typical Buck

I find my backstop to be foolproof should i miss the assortment of oak trees has plenty of sufficient stopping power, it also makes you concentrate a touch more knowing you usually don't get a second chance w/ that arrow.
Old 08-11-2007, 05:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

i use haybales. i got 8 of them in a stack...2 high and they form a 90 degree angle...i put my target in the open end of the angle...

heres the best pic i got...only 6 in there at that time..

its now 2 deep x 2 high..i keep them on pallets as you see...keeps them off the ground....keeps the mice out of the shed and keep them covered with a old tarp i had laying around. they lasted a full year and still goin strong.

also...it does stop my arrows. sometimes ya gotta dig for em...but i havent had one go through yet...alot of mine are broadheads passing through my BH target...but i'll admit...a couple times i was tired, shakey and choked and punched the trigger and threw them into the hay bales...

Old 08-12-2007, 12:45 PM
Typical Buck

I shoot at a foam target which I planted on a pile of sand, I keep the sides of the pile nice and even so if I miss, I just need to find the entry hole and dig a few inches.
I made sure there were no rocks or pebbles in the sand, because that really stops fieldtips but not the rest of the arrow.

F.
Old 08-12-2007, 01:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Concrete walls work really well,if you miss,no need to go retrieve your arrow.

Seriously,I have used cole mine belt but that isn't readily available to most.

Here are some from Lancasters

http://www.lancasterarchery.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=6279&osCsid=df25b 843c41f38d392d3867f71da889e

http://www.lancasterarchery.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=7133&osCsid=df25b 843c41f38d392d3867f71da889e

http://www.lancasterarchery.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=1655&osCsid=df25b 843c41f38d392d3867f71da889e

Old 08-12-2007, 07:34 PM
Fork Horn

I like those nets, however, their a little high for no more arrows than it would save me. I lost two last year, due to me shooting at my little target from a long distance. Shoulda used my Humungo instead of my little portable 18X14 target. I got several targets, I just want to put a backstop behind my Glendel Buck for shooting long range. I wanted a pile of sand or dirt, but I can only get a big truck load for $110. I'll probably get 8 or 10 square bales or 1 round bale from the neighbor.
Old 08-12-2007, 11:09 PM
Fork Horn

about seven years ago my dad and I went to a local PAMIDA discount store and asked them for a card board bale. I'd never heard of them, but my dad had. We asked the employees about them and they said we could have one. I think the thing is about5 ft. tall and 4 ft wide. It ways alot I'm guessing around 300 hundred pounds or so. It works just like a layered foam target, except the foam is replace with a gazilion layers of card board. We got that thing home, wrapped a cheap tarp around, and place it on a pallet. We have a little canopy over it too. I have a block target in front of it. It has lasted us 7 years, it sits outside all year in the rain and snow. No real signs of it falling apart yet.
Old 08-12-2007, 11:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

About 4-6 layers of free hanging carpet remnants will stop field point arrows. Not so good at stopping broadheads though. Drive a couple of fence posts into the ground, however far apart you want your backstop to be wide, then tie a wire between them and hang the remnant over the wire. Put another one or two sets behind that one, leaving about a foot between them. If that doesn't stop your arrows, add another.

About the only thing that'll do good and last a long time with broadheads - and let you get your arrow back undamaged - is either a pile of clean sand or a turf butt, and naturally they'll both work with field points too.

Quick Reply: What to use for archery backstop?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.