Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Do you shoot with both eyes open? >

Do you shoot with both eyes open?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Do you shoot with both eyes open?

Old 08-09-2007, 07:31 PM

Default Do you shoot with both eyes open?

I was reading(lots of stories out there) about shooting technique and the use of using both eyes while shooting. The arguement was that your shooting/aiming eye should be your dominant eye and even if you had both eyes open it wouldtake presidence, and doall of the aiming. It read, that by using both eyes your distanceperception and sight of your souroundings wouldgreatly improve and beof huge value. I guess if I practiced it may work well, I have yet to try this. Just wondering what your thoughs were.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Do you shoot with both eyes open?

i actually shoot either/or. trying to train myself to shoot with both open...but sometimes its habit to close my non-dominant eye. i shoot equally the same either way though...but you see alot more with both eyes open. i been noticing with both open i raise my head...gotta work on my follow through with both eyes open i guess...today i lifted my head at 40yds and threw my arrow way high...i only do that once in a while but i need to work on it so it dont happen in the woods...
Old 08-09-2007, 07:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Both open
Old 08-09-2007, 07:47 PM

I definately think I'm going to try this. It makes sense. I just hope I'm not messing up my form so close to the season opener. Been shooting fine with just one eye but after reading that article it got me thinking. Will start tomorrow, I guess
Old 08-10-2007, 11:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have always shot with just one eye, but I have been wearing glass's now for about 3 years and I hunt without them. But my eye's are starting to get worse and I am going to have to start hunting with my glass's and the only way I can shoot with them is with both eyes open. So next year I am going to have start right after the season to get myself trained, and by the way I shot about 8 inch's high while I practiced it the other day. Walt
Old 08-10-2007, 11:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

I dont quite understand how to shoot with both eyes open....can someone explain? It seems to me if you have both eyes open you have a greater chance of error.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Up until last year, I always shot with 1 eye closed. Then last year, I gave 2 eyes open a try and it has really helped me. Just make sure that the dominant eye is the eye that you are aiming with (like normal). Have the other eye opens makes it easier for me to follow through and find the target easier.
Old 08-10-2007, 01:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

I guess ill have to give it a try
Old 08-10-2007, 02:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Joey I agree when I was practicing it the other day I was shooting great just high on the target, and seeing my pin and the target clear was a huge plus because I had my glass's on. I am just afraid if I try to switch right now I will close my 1 eye in the heat of the moment and then I will shoot low.. Walt
Old 08-10-2007, 02:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

hen you shoot with both eyes open you have to let your dominent eye take over but still watch the target with your off eye. It doesn't take too long to get used to this if you practice with each shot and not just lauch arrows fast. Hold for a while and let your eye focus and you'll notice that you will soon line up with your dominent eye. You will be able to follow the arrow with your off eye and stop worrying about getting the bow out of the way to watch the arrow.

Quick Reply: Do you shoot with both eyes open?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.