HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   Practice Sessions... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/201156-practice-sessions.html)

hvyhitter19 08-08-2007 06:02 AM

Practice Sessions...

I am starting to practice shooting for some 3D tournaments... I am looking for some "routines" that I can use to build focus, form, and strength... And anything else I'll need to compete...LOL

Any tips or help would be great...

Arthur P 08-08-2007 06:39 AM

RE: Practice Sessions...

Idiot Proof Archery by Bernie Pellerite.

Rick James 08-08-2007 07:40 AM

Write down a shot sequence that is specific to 3D that includes judging the distance, glassing the target, setting up and executing the shot. Stick to this routine and practice this routine.

Matt / PA has said this several times and it's so true.......once you pick a number for distance stick to it, and have confidence in it. If your thinking your # might be wrong at full draw you probably won't hit what your aiming at.......at that point your focus needs to be on the spot you want to hit. Your better off with a bad number and a perfect shot than you are with a bad number and a bad shot. ;)

Some might think I am obsessive, but my practice routine during 3D season is listed below. It works for me, much more so than just flinging arrows. I have worked with a coach extensively for a year and a half now and when he finally got me to start practicing with purpose instead of just flinging arrows I really started pulling away from the pack in terms of the local and state competition.

[ul][*]10-15 arrows of blank bale. Doesn't matter where it goes, worry about making perfectly setup and executed shots. Close your eyes once anchored if you need to prevent yourself from cheating.[/ul]
[ul][*]10-15 aiming drills. Don't execute a shot here, just setup and come to full draw, and focus on aiming and trusting the float of your pin. I like to practice holding on the black dot on a Morrell bag at 33 yards. Hold as long as you can do so relaxed and without tension, just trusting that float. Let down, and do it again. This is so valuable to be able to develop the concentration needed for aiming, and reinforces the seperation of the aiming and executing. When at full draw, you should anchor and then flip that switch mentally that allows you to no longer think about execution. Your focus should be on aiming.......burning a hole through that X ring.[/ul]
[ul][*]10-15 arrows at 40 yards. I practice shooting again at the black dot on a Morrell Outdoor Range bag. It is so much more important to focus on setting up a good shot here rather than just flinging arrows. Try to focus on doing everything the same, setting up, aiming consciously, executing subconsiously.....etc. If you really focus on just the tasks at hand on the perfect shot.......the tight groups will come.[/ul]
[ul][*]Maybe a few more aiming or blank bale drills depending on if they are going well.[/ul]
[ul][*]Put the bow away, and take the rangefinder for a walk in the woods. Pick 30 random objects in the woods to practice on, bring a note pad with you and write down the number you guessed, and the actual number. Since I am shooting out to 50 yards this year and my judging needs the most work out past 40 yards or so, I try to focus on objects between 40-50 yards with a few 33-40 yard objects mixed in to keep me sharp. If I am within 1 yard, I give myself a +1 next to the guessed and actual numbers on the pad. If I am within 2 yards I give myself a 0. If I am off by 3-5 yards, I give myself a -1. If I am off by 3-5 or more, then I stop, try to find 20 yards in the rangefinder between myself and the target, visualize that burn it in, and then try to see where I went wrong with my guess.[/ul]
Hope this helps, this routine practiced 3-4 times a week combined with a local 3D shoot almost every weekend has really helped me quite a bit.

hvyhitter19 08-08-2007 07:48 PM

That is a serious routine and EXACTLY what I am looking for... Right now I have been getting up early and shooting in the basement before work and again in the afternoon after work, just working on form and focus... I need to get outside and shoot, but it was 102 degrees here today with 90% humidity... So I'll stick to the A/C basement for this week...

Thanks for the routine, I am going to get cracking on it...

Greg / MO 08-08-2007 08:37 PM

Nice post, RJ

gselkhunter 08-09-2007 05:33 AM

Nice routine Mr James, it will be very helpfull to a lot of people.
I was very lucky to havethe Olympic archery team here and was taken under wing by them. They worked with me for over a year and I was shooting 90 meters with them. The focus they have and the training they are put through is amazing, but it isn't just about shooting a bow. They do a lot of weight training[for endurance more so than strength] and cardio work. The mind and body stuff. Thanks to them I am very comfortable with a bow in my hands at 80yds.
One thing I would add to the routine above by Mr James. When you are in the woods don't leave the bow at home, shoot first then use the range finder. Learn to feel distance more than judge it, a zen thing. And I know that this is easier in CO than it would be in NY, I came from there by the way, we don't have all the under growth here to deal with.But the other part of stump shooting is the up and down shots at low to high angles through shadows. It will improve your shooting and judgement skills. My mind set: There is no score only this shot.
Gselkhunter

Redneck Bowhunter 08-09-2007 05:44 AM

Wow, that was very lucky. Great advice.

davepjr71 08-09-2007 01:07 PM

ORIGINAL: Rick James

.......once you pick a number for distance stick to it, and have confidence in it. If your thinking your # might be wrong at full draw you probably won't hit what your aiming at.......at that point your focus needs to be on the spot you want to hit. Your better off with a bad number and a perfect shot than you are with a bad number and a bad shot. ;)

Isn't that the truth. Even if you think you are aiming properly the arrow rarely ever hits where it is supposed to once you start thinking about the distance at full draw.

djkiller 08-09-2007 08:00 PM

You want to be successfull at 3d. Practice judging yardage religously.
And shoot spot leagues will help you focus on a spot. I also like to blank bail in my basement for a half hour every night. And lastly....Shoot, Shoot, Shoot..............