Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

string info

Old 08-05-2007, 11:03 AM

Default string info

How hard is it to do your own servings? Is this something that should be left to the pro shop? Seem once you had the hang of it, it's something that people should be able to do themselves. What do you guys think? Any good videos on this?

The reason I ask, is we don't have a shops very close and my serving broke and I don't want to wait to get it fixed.
Old 08-05-2007, 11:21 AM

Default RE: string info

100% do your own servings. It is EASY.

Bohning makes a good video. Also learning from one of the pro shop members is good as well.

Good Luck!
Old 08-05-2007, 12:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Serving requires some tools and some time. We have one guy at our shop (an older guy) that can serve, or atleast serve well. It will definately take some practice. I second the Bohning video, we played it the other day in the shop. Good instructional video.
Old 08-05-2007, 02:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's not hard to do at all.I just did my center serving on my string with little trouble. Like everything, practice makes perfect though.
Old 08-05-2007, 04:05 PM

Thanks guys, I'll check out the video.
Old 08-05-2007, 04:12 PM

They sell a kit(Bohning) That comes with all you need and the vid. I bought that and am glad. Real simple an easy.
Old 08-05-2007, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

The kit comes with most of what you need. Even if you buy the kit I'dbuy either BCY #62 or Brownell Diamondback Center serving. The poly that comes with the kit issoft and comes apart easily and isn't really recommended for the strings on today's bows from what I've read.

Josh did his with BCY #62 .025
I used the Brownell diamondback .026 for comparison reasons.
Old 08-05-2007, 07:41 PM
Typical Buck

You could get the BCY "Making a Bowstring" or Apple archerys "Basic string making" w/Lary Wise. Both show how to do center and end servings. I personaly like the BCY 62 for center and BCY 3-D for ends.
Old 08-05-2007, 07:57 PM

ORIGINAL: davepjr71

The kit comes with most of what you need. Even if you buy the kit I'dbuy either BCY #62 or Brownell Diamondback Center serving. The poly that comes with the kit issoft and comes apart easily and isn't really recommended for the strings on today's bows from what I've read.

Josh did his with BCY #62 .025
I used the Brownell diamondback .026 for comparison reasons.
It has worked fine for me.
Old 08-06-2007, 04:58 AM

now if you guys want to do nice servings by hand - get the beiter winder. i know it costs 3x what the other ones do - like the really bad bohning tool - but when you use it you'll know why i just said 'the really bad bohning tool'. its the rolls royce of serving tools.

Quick Reply: string info

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.