Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

carbon arrows

Old 08-01-2007, 04:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: carbon arrows

I personaly havent had a single problem with any of the carbon arrows Ive shot thus far. To each there own, everyone has their personaly preferance mine just happens to be carbons. I did a little shooting sunday and shooting two arrow groups, I was holding about a 2 to 3 inch group at 50, 60, and 70 yards. That was with gold tip xt with a straightness of .003. Ipersonaly dont think it can getalotbetter than that regardless if you shoot aluminum or carbons.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:34 PM

Thanks for the info everyone. Can someone tell me what seperates a good cabon arrow from a poor one.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:41 PM

About 40 bucks a dozen.

Paul
Old 08-02-2007, 05:50 PM

Thanks Paul, I had that coming! lol

But what is the difference? Besides price!
Old 08-03-2007, 07:48 AM

Ok, in all honesty the way I have had it explained to me is that most of the carbons are made the same way. All the arrows for a given line come off the same tooling pretty much. The problem is the manufacturing process is not very consistent. So when you buy the more expensive arrows for a given manufacturer they are simply sorted better. So you are paying for increased quality control basically. The cheaper arrows just don't get looked at as hard so you don't really know what you are getting when you open up the box. It's sort of a crap shoot. However as far as they are made there is no large technical engineering gap between the cheap ones and the more expensive one.

Although when you switch from manufacturer to manufacturer, or in some cases from line to line there are some variations in the way they are made.

I haven't checked a bunch of carbon arrows in a long time, so they might be better than they used to be now. They get better every year. I just personally like the consistency I get with aluminums and have an arrow I like so I will stick with them until I don't have a choice anymore.

Paul
Old 08-03-2007, 10:48 AM

Thanks as that was very helpful! I shoot aluminum's and have had good luck with them. I mainly hunt but have been getting into the 3d thing some this summer and it was fun. Most of the people I saw seem to shoot carbons and I guess because of that, I was wanting to know more about them. I think for now I'm just going to stick with my aluminum's. Not saying carbons aren't good or anything like that. Just want to see how much we get into shooting before we start spending 120 a dozen.

Thanks for the help!
Old 08-04-2007, 09:30 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: passthru79

I was holding about a 2 to 3 inch group at 50, 60, and 70 yards. That was with gold tip xt with a straightness of .003.
Goodness, I thought thegun forumsinternet groups were good. Lots of 2" 60 yard groups going on here on the internet. A guyI go turkey hunting with, said he was shooting 2-3" groups at 70 yards. Went to his house, and missed the target on 2 arrows and actually hit a 18"X18" target with one. Guess he got those groups once.

Old 08-04-2007, 09:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

ORIGINAL: passthru79

I was holding about a 2 to 3 inch group at 50, 60, and 70 yards. That was with gold tip xt with a straightness of .003.
Goodness, I thought thegun forumsinternet groups were good. Lots of 2" 60 yard groups going on here on the internet. A guyI go turkey hunting with, said he was shooting 2-3" groups at 70 yards. Went to his house, and missed the target on 2 arrows and actually hit a 18"X18" target with one. Guess he got those groups once.

That's pretty funny!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-05-2007, 06:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ill be the first to admit I was having a very good day, and cant shoot like that every day. I suppose with a mouth like big country has he doesnt need to shoot that good, can just knock them dead with all that sarcasm he has.
Old 08-05-2007, 07:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

This is one thing you dont want to do to a carbon

I should have known better than to aim at the same spot[8D]

Done this earlier this afternoon

Luckily the other arrow is still ok

Quick Reply: carbon arrows

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.