Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 whaky basket troubles >

whaky basket troubles

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

whaky basket troubles

Old 07-28-2007, 02:43 PM
Typical Buck

Default whaky basket troubles

Ok I was shooting nice tight groups at 20 yards but my arrows were still not flying straight, so I started fiddling with my WB, which resulted in my arrows going everywhere in different flying motions.
So I tried putting my WB in the former position ( yes, I marked it ) but one of the screws is now badly damaged from twisting and turning.
As a result I ended up moving my sight.
So here come the questions;
Does your string and arrow nocked, line up with your pins in one straight line ?
Does your arrow has to be in that angle mentioned on the easton tuning guide ? ( mine isn't really )
Is there a kind of WB that's easely adjustable ( I don't have any markings, I use a felt tip pen )
Could one of you post some pics of the WB set setup with an arrow in place ?

muchas graçias....

Frank
Belgium
Old 07-28-2007, 03:44 PM

Default RE: whaky basket troubles

Frank,

I have never seen a bow where the pins, arrow, rest and string were all aligned.

The Easton guide is just that...a guide.

I highly recommend switching to a drop away. You are going to gain accuracy and dependability vs. what little the WB gives you.
Old 07-28-2007, 04:26 PM

Frank, when tuning a bow I put the arrow centered on the rest hole.Then set the nock about 1/8" high.I then roughly set the centershot by holding the bow out in front of me and lining the string up with the center of the bow,then adjust the arrow until it lines up a little left of the string.Pretty low tech but it has allways gotten me real close.Then I'll paper tune and adjust the nock height and try to get close to a bullet hole.Then I'll usually switch to walk back and broadhead group tuning.I did this with the "wacky basket" on my patriot and it has worked fine.Shooting st epics and blazers.Will group slick tricks with my fp's at 40 yds.

CB
Old 07-29-2007, 06:52 AM
Typical Buck

I still am sticking to the WB, I love it's advantages, I think the drop away is more difficult to set up.
I need to papertune my bow I think.

F.
Old 07-29-2007, 09:16 AM

I have set both up, I have not seen a drop away yet that was harder to set up than a WB. The WB seems simple, and it is... until you try to make fine adjustments to it. All the ones I messed with were a pain to get right.

I'm not telling to get a different rest though, if YOU like it keep using it. Drop aways are not a miracle cure for anything either. They just let you shoot more fletching is all, providing you don't have timing issues with the rest.

As far as the string thing, I don't remember seeing too many bows where the string lines up with the tip of arrow and the sight pins. Maybe in a perfect world, but not mine.

I would like to hear what Len and Arthur have to say about it.

Paul
Old 07-29-2007, 11:18 PM
Site Bouncer

Ok Frank, since your from Belgium and it's one of my favorite gun manufacturing places ever (love &collectBelgium made Brownings) I will help you.

You need to start from scratch and re-setup/install the Biscuit.

First, set the bow to even tiller.This is done by adjusting the limb bolts until there is equal preload on both the top and bottom limbs. There are different ways to determine this but the easiest I have found is simply to measure the distance from the limb as it enters the pocket out to the string at the same place on the top and bottom limbs. Once those measurements are the same your tiller (in most situations) will be very close if not exactly the same.

Nextset the Biscuit's center shot, you want that as perfect as possible to start with.Then,mount the biscuit on the bow so that thebiscuithole is perfectly level with the berger button hole, it's the one the rest is mounted to in the riser. Then set your nock pointon the string so that yourarrow is at 90deg to the string. Make sure the biscuit is not leaning toward or away from the shelf as it should be straight as well.

Now you have something to start with. Adjust your sights at 20ydsand then tune from there, Iprefer a walk back tune. Most of the time I need little (if any) re-adjustments of the rest to get my arrows to end up hitting in a vertical line on my walk back, and when I did have to adjust it, wasn't much at all.

One last thing to remember, you need to make sure you have the proper size opening for the arrows you are shooting. When in doubt go one size larger than you think you need. I shoot regular sizecarbon arrows and I prefer the x-large opening Biscuit. When in the rest, my arrow only touches the black bristles at the bottom.

Good luck.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:58 AM
Typical Buck

Hey Big J, I never knew browning had belgian made rifles or guns !
I knew of FN making good guns, like the P90 .....

anyway, I managed to get my WB back in place but I want one that's easely adjustable.....
I found out that all my arrows weren't cut down straight, so there's another problem I have fixed.
I made an arrowspinner and used a wetstone to square the arrows and now my Bheads and fieldtips are screwed in straight, which will help me shoot straight.
second, I'll start fletching myself, helical, so the spin will help as well.
And I'll look for another WB, with better screws.
The diameter on my WB is perfect tho', the arrows only touch the black stiff whiskers.
I'm getting there....

By the way, WE invented fries, not the french.....
Napoleon only got us the potatoes......
Old 07-30-2007, 12:21 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: m9a9g9i9c

Hey Big J, I never knew browning had belgian made rifles or guns !
I knew of FN making good guns, like the P90 .....

anyway, I managed to get my WB back in place but I want one that's easily adjustable.....
I found out that all my arrows weren't cut down straight, so there's another problem I have fixed.
I made an arrowspinner and used a wetstone to square the arrows and now my Bheads and fieldtips are screwed in straight, which will help me shoot straight.
second, I'll start fletching myself, helical, so the spin will help as well.
And I'll look for another WB, with better screws.
The diameter on my WB is perfect tho', the arrows only touch the black stiff whiskers.
I'm getting there....

By the way, WE invented fries, not the french.....
Napoleon only got us the potatoes......
Frank,

If you want a micro adjustable Biscuit get the Deluxe Quick-Shotbiscuit.

Glad to see your getting the bugs worked out of your set up.

Yep Browning's were made in Belgium before being shipped to the USA back when they (Browning) knew how to make a shotgun. I have othernewer Brownings as well (Citori, Gold Hunter)but nothing compares to the quality of the Belgium ones.

Yes I know all about FN (Fabrique National) as I own several of their firearms as well.I'm especiallyfond ofmy FN-49 (Luxembourg) and my L1A1.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:36 PM

I'll start fletching myself, helical, so the spin will help as well.
Errr....watch out on helical fletch if your using a WB, I would suggest you keep the fletch straight and just add 2 degree offset... WB & helical = [:@][:-]
Old 07-30-2007, 12:51 PM
Typical Buck

ok, fellas, what's it gonna be then ?

helical or offset......which is it ?

F.

Quick Reply: whaky basket troubles

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.