HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   WB to the Rescue (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/199416-wb-rescue.html)

Arthur P 07-27-2007 07:26 AM

WB to the Rescue

A couple of new shooters, brothers, showed up at our club last week with a new bow they are sharing. It was a package deal bow they'd picked up at one of those mega-chain superstores with cheap plastic sights and a non-descript prong rest. "Professionally set up and tuned" which in advertising lingo obviously means FUBAR.

Well, I worked on their bow and got it going as best as I could get it with nothing more than an educated eyeball and an allen wrench for tools, and and they had a ball. Before they left, I made a couple of suggestions on upgrades, including new sights and (choke, gag [:'(]) a whisker bisquit - they were struggling with keeping the arrow on the rest and I knew that would take care of the problem until they were a little further along the learning curve.

So, last night I took my tools and got 'em fixed up. Before the evening was over they were both shooting 6" groups at 30 yards and had gone around our short 3D course without missing a single target. [:-]

I've always liked the simplicity aspect of the whacky basket but have avoided using the thing. I had no desire to be associated with the radical semi-religious fervor a lot of guys have about it. I have to admit though, based on what I saw last night it's a darn good rest for folks who are just starting out. Gotta be a decent rest for someone who knows how to shoot.

Now they've brought along their other brother who wants to learn how to shoot a longbow. Got more work to do. :)

BobCo19-65 07-27-2007 07:33 AM

RE: WB to the Rescue

Arthur, I'm shocked...:D

Arthur P 07-27-2007 07:35 AM

As am I, Bob. As am I.[&:][8D]

Rick James 07-27-2007 07:59 AM

Heh...........I think so many people get wrapped up in not wanting to be associated with a "beginners" product that they are blinded by the fact that the thing works and works well and really won't fail.

I'm shooting a biscuit this year on my hunting bow and gotta say I see no accuracy difference between it and the other rests I have used in the past that cost so much more and have so many more moving parts. I think people fail to realize that this game is pretty simple.......they are only arrows and they only go where we point them.....[8D].

Roskoe 07-27-2007 08:15 AM

Some of the best and most experienced archers I know use WB's. They are simple and they work.

BKE 07-27-2007 08:41 AM

Arthur P, I've just recently gotten back into archery after many years of not shooting and it is the simplicity of the WB that has me hooked on it as a hunting rest. If I were to get more into the target/tournament shooting I am sure I would go another route. Glad to see you say something good about the Wiscuit. What I think would be a realhoot (I know it ain't gonna happen) would be for you to put one on one of your bows and shoot a few rounds, see how it effects your shootingand then give us your opinion. I'm thinking that with your years of experience we would receive another favorable review.

Arthur P 07-27-2007 08:42 AM

I know, I know.... MY deal had more to do with wb zealots recommending the thing as a universal fix-all, even when the problems being discussed had absolutely nothing to do with an arrow rest. I shouldn't let idiots cloud my judgement like that.

BKE 07-27-2007 09:00 AM

ORIGINAL: Rick James
I'm shooting a biscuit this year on my hunting bow and gotta say I see no accuracy difference between it and the other rests I have used in the past that cost so much more and have so many more moving parts. I think people fail to realize that this game is pretty simple.......they are only arrows and they only go where we point them.....[8D].

I most cases anyway..[:o]

arrows42071 07-27-2007 09:16 AM

Don't forget, a WB was used to win the IBO Triple Crown in one of the classes.

jsasker 07-27-2007 09:56 AM

Arthur,where did you get two wacky baskets?You didn't have them in YOUR "tackle box" did you?:D:D;)