Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Whats the trick

Old 07-25-2007, 02:59 PM
Typical Buck

Default Whats the trick

Whats the trick to putting blazer vanes on with a Helical clamp? I have Beman black max Arrows and they have a small diameter, and i cant seem to get the front of the vane glued to the shaft, I have a bitzenburger...
Old 07-25-2007, 04:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Whats the trick

You've just got the clamp angled too much. You have to adjust the clamp so the vane will sit on the shaft all the way from the back to front.
Old 07-25-2007, 04:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I line up the back of theblazer with the second mark on the clamp. I then adjust the offset to where you are getting a few degress offset andthe blazer sits on the shaft without any edges hanging off. Doing it this way, accompanied with the very slight helical from the jig seems to work great for me.

Shane
Old 07-26-2007, 06:45 PM

You only need a little bit of helical on Blazers.

I use the Bitz and the Blazers.

Use plenty of glue, wipe off with a Q-tip if needed.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MDBUCKHUNTER

Use plenty of glue, wipe off with a Q-tip if needed.
I would disagree with this. When putting on vanes or blazers all you need to do is run a bead down the center of the vane/blazer mounting edge. The bead only needs to be about half the width of the edge so you should end up with a bead of glue down the middleand space on both sides. When done this way with either a vane or a blazer I have never had one come off even after pulling through targets.

Before I start fletching I always take a glueless (tapeless for feathers now ) vane/blazer/feather and put it in the jig and then see how it sits on the shaft. I make adjustments while looking at the seating from different angles in good light and when the fletch joins the shaft the way I want it too, then I begin gluing on the fletches.

One other thing and this is just my personal opinion: I think putting a helical on blazers is next to useless. You barely get any helical and all you really need to do is just put them on with an offset. I have put them on with a helical and they don't fly any better than ones applied with just an offset.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:23 PM

I have had plenty, plenty, plentyof Blazers come off when you don't fully cover the bottom of the vane with glue.

I am not saying soak the blazer in glue, just don't skimp and leave areas of the blazer where it touches the shaft without glue.

Hint: Take 300 Grit Sand paper and rough up the shaft and blazer for better adhesion.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:47 PM

ORIGINAL: MDBUCKHUNTER
Hint: Take 300 Grit Sand paper and rough up the shaft and blazer for better adhesion.
Something is up if you've got to sandpaper your Blazers to get them to stick. They even say not to use anything on the fletchings to clean them up. I put them on my wraps with nothing other than Fletch-tite Platinum like Bruce describes and there's no way they come off without a knife and even then with difficulty. Just be sure to adjust the jig forward and back so that it's fully contacting the shaft before you get started. (I use a Jo-Jan so i can't help you with teh Bitz set-up.)
Old 07-27-2007, 04:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

For vanes on carbon, I only use superglue gel. Brand doesn't matter because it's all the same stuff, just some is thicker and some thinner. I run a thin bead down the center of the vane's base, then take a toothpick and spread it evenly across the base. Once I'm sure it's completely covered, I put the clamp in the jig and press it down against the shaft for about 15 seconds. Superglue is a pressure sensitive adhesive and applying that bit of pressure is required for the best bond.

With the Bitz, you've got two adjustment knobs. Do a dry fit like brucelanthier described above. Loosen the set screws and turn each knob until you get your fletch positioned just right. Tighten the set screws and carry on with your project.
Old 07-27-2007, 05:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm with Bruce and Arthur on this one. I use Loctite super glue gel, and I use it sparingly. Just a thin bead down the center of the Blazer. When pressure is applied the glue will spread. I don't do any prep to the Blazer. I just make sure the shaft is clean, whether I'm using wraps, capping and cresting, or a bare shaft. Pre fitting the vane in the jig is essential to proper fletching with a Bitz. I use mine on Easton Axis, Easton Carbon Excel, and XX78 Gamegetter IIs. I have to use a different setting on each of these three shafts and as long as I make sure I have a good fit and use a thin bead of glue on my vane or feather I have good results. I also add a very small drop of glue to the front and rear of each vane or feather when I am finished with each arrow.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:32 AM

READ THE INSTRUCTIONS! But, if yours didn't come with any than this advice will work too.

Quick Reply: Whats the trick

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.