Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Critique my form >

Critique my form

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Critique my form

Old 07-23-2007, 07:18 PM
Typical Buck

Default Critique my form

Here is a short clip of my shooting form.
What can I do to improve my form?

http://s140.photobucket.com/albums/r34/sidewayshunt/?action=view&current=630a87e4.flv

Old 07-23-2007, 07:24 PM

Default RE: Critique my form

I'm no expert by any means but the one thing that stood out to me is that when you release you squeeze thegrip pretty tight to keepthebowfrom falling. Could this cause you to torque the bow or is the arrow long gone at this point? Just a thought....
Old 07-23-2007, 07:53 PM
Typical Buck

I would like to see your right arm all the way back to your elbow as well as your stance.

You seemed to follow through, which looked good to me. But I can't tell about your your anchor points. Do you have two? I couldn't tell.

Just my two cents.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

RobVT is right on. i seen it both shots. and it WILL effect your arrow flight and placement.

gotta work on following through and the grip. although it appears you try to relax your grip, your hand doesnt look fully relaxed(could be the gloves making it look that way...but it looks like you open up your fingers, but dont relax them. the best way to describe a proper grip ive heard was "dead spider" think of how a dead spiders legs would relax...dont move your fingers at all...put the bow in your hand and let your fingers hang naturally. moving them at all, in any way causes some form of torque)

to cure the follow through try a wrist sling if you dont have one...its all mental...but a wrist sling helped me...but its really all mindset. gotta think and follow through. when i fired my arrow i immediatly squeezed and jerked the bow..arrows flew where i jerked them to. it was bad. i cured it by focusing on not doing it last year. this year i got a sling and focused and stopped.

really cant tell where your drawing arm comes, but it sould come straight back behind the arrow...from what i can see it looks ok.

the bow arm should also be pretty relaxed. teaching my buddy to shoot for the first time i noticed he locked his elbow and was tense as heck.

i think if you work on the follow through and grip you should be good and shooting better. good luck
Old 07-23-2007, 08:15 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the feedback
I agreeabout grabbingthe grip, I have gotten betterabout it since shooting with gloves,but still have a ways to go.
I do use a wrist sling but guess I just don't trust it.
I only have one anchor point and that is my kisser button.
My groups are not hateful by any means but I am inconsistent.

I plan on using video each time I practice, hopefully this will make me more conscious of grabbing the grip and help me break the habit.
Thanks again.

Old 07-24-2007, 05:33 AM

i'd like to be able to see your grip.
Old 07-24-2007, 06:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

it looks as if your draw length is a tad long, youre bringing your head back and your bow arm is almost perfectly straight. When you draw, you shouldnt have to move your head back up or down, your peep should always fall right straight with your eye. I also noticed you grabbing your grip when you shopot, this may cause your arrow to not fly true. Open your bow hand and keep a nice lose grip.I also noticed youre not using a bow sling, get one! The after the shot let the bow drop, do not try to stop the bow from falling. Youve already gotten into some bad habbits that may be hard to break. With a little practice and consitancey youll break the habbits. Also make sure you have at least two good anchor points, a peep and a kisser button will do wonders to your form. Good luck.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like to work on one thing at a time and the one that jumps right out is the draw length. As wis bow huntr ssaid, it's a tad long. You look at the target then as you draw and anchor you pull your head backa bit, adjusting your head position to the fit the bow. You should NEVER have to move your head in any manner.

Looking even further it may not be so much the draw length, but where you anchor. Being as you use a kisser button you could possibly slide it up the string about 1/2". This will automatically move it forward where your lips are when coming to full draw. Of course you'll have to gang adjust your sight pins accordingly.

Nock position in relation to the eye (vertically) doesn't look too bad.

One more thing. Once you make target acquisition concentrate on the target and do not look at the camera. Look only where you want to shoot.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:43 PM
Typical Buck

Gibblet, I will shoot some video without the glove and from the front.
(by the way, great set of cables and string)

Wis, I do use the wrist sling but hold it between my palm and the grip.
I will get a better picture on my next video.
I do use a kisser but do not use a peep.

BG, I just started moving my head around, not sure where that came from but will work on that.
Thanks again for the feedback

Old 07-24-2007, 11:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

A peep will help TREMENDOUSLY.

Quick Reply: Critique my form

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.