Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Critique my form >

Critique my form

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Critique my form

Old 07-25-2007, 05:11 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Critique my form

Two things I picked up; 1 when you pull the bow back the arrow is pointing up a sign of too much draw weight. It also means too much motion in the field. 2 can you shoot without holding onto your release? You will be more consistent if you can. Holding onto a release can cause you to jerk it at release, causing inconsistent shooting.
I can't see your feet, can you pick up your back foot at full draw? If not lean into your front foot so you can. If you are leaning back you are fighting your bow to keep it on target and won't shoot as well as you can.
Gselkhunter
Old 07-25-2007, 11:59 AM

Much of what was said above and more. First thing is to shorten the draw length and proceed from there - one step at a time.

I have a lot of customers come up from LaPlata. Stop by when you get a chance and I'll give you a quick personal critique.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with Wis Bow Huntr. It seems like you are leaning back a bit when you shoot which can be an indicator of a draw length that is a little long.

Shane
Old 07-25-2007, 07:06 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks again to all that responded.
I can't seem to get away from work early enough to get home before it is to dark to re-video my form.

Len, I appreciate the offer and will take you up on it, just not sure when.
I might be able to slip out of work one day next week and head up there.
I will call you first and make sure you are available.

gsel & sr- The reason I am struggling with my draw is I have a slight case of tendonitis in myright arm (reason for the arm band) Hopefully it will be completely healed by the time the season starts.

Old 07-25-2007, 09:15 PM

When I had tendonitis about 6 months ago, I had that armband below my elbow. I had the 'pad' pulled tightly on the point of pain and it helped a lot. Took me weeks before it felt better and a few months to totally heal.

It hurts a lot. I feel for you.

Len
Old 07-25-2007, 11:24 PM

Anybody notice how quiet his bow was? I did. That's impressive. However, it looks like you might be grabbing the bow @ the shot. If you are, please get a sling.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:23 AM

You really don't need a sling. You can accomplish just as much with a neutral 'grip' and it will be better for you when hunting.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mauser06

RobVT is right on. i seen it both shots. and it WILL effect your arrow flight and placement.

gotta work on following through and the grip. although it appears you try to relax your grip, your hand doesnt look fully relaxed(could be the gloves making it look that way...but it looks like you open up your fingers, but dont relax them. the best way to describe a proper grip ive heard was "dead spider" think of how a dead spiders legs would relax...dont move your fingers at all...put the bow in your hand and let your fingers hang naturally. moving them at all, in any way causes some form of torque)

to cure the follow through try a wrist sling if you dont have one...its all mental...but a wrist sling helped me...but its really all mindset. gotta think and follow through. when i fired my arrow i immediatly squeezed and jerked the bow..arrows flew where i jerked them to. it was bad. i cured it by focusing on not doing it last year. this year i got a sling and focused and stopped.

really cant tell where your drawing arm comes, but it sould come straight back behind the arrow...from what i can see it looks ok.

the bow arm should also be pretty relaxed. teaching my buddy to shoot for the first time i noticed he locked his elbow and was tense as heck.

i think if you work on the follow through and grip you should be good and shooting better. good luck

Thanks Mauser,
When i looked at that video i realized that i try and catch my bow right after the shot also. So last night i went home and had the " Dead Spider" thought in my head. MAN my hand felt relaxed with that thought. my groups tightened up immediately.
I just have to practice with it more so it becomes automatic. When my thought drifted to something else about my form i grabbed the bow again.

Thanks again

Oh and thank you too Sideways for posting the video