Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 How many don't use a kisser anymore? >

How many don't use a kisser anymore?

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

How many don't use a kisser anymore?

Old 07-24-2007, 06:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How many don't use a kisser anymore?

Anymore? I've never used one.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:01 PM

Never used such a thing!!
Old 07-24-2007, 07:04 PM
Spike

I used one for a short period of time, but got rid of it along with the peep sight and went to a "hind sight". The best purchase I've made. I absolutely love it . http://www.hindsightco.com/.

Old 07-25-2007, 07:43 AM

I used a kisser years ago. I startedputting the string onmy nose and using a knuckle/jaw anchor point. It is much more accurate for me.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I guess i'm the odd man out because i removed my peep years ago and went with a small 3/8" kisser button. My eyes just aren't what they use to be and i got tired of trying to find my peep at dawn and dusk. I used the biggest holed peep i could find but it still wasn't enough. I'll admit my accuracy suffered slightly at first but after practicing it became repetition and habit and i shoot just as good now without apeep as i did with one. I havethree anchor points that i use,string touching nose, kisserin the corner of my mouth and my index finger knuckle tucked under my ear.I'm strickly a hunter and i don't shoot past 40yds so this setup works great for me.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:50 AM

Whether or not a kisser orpeep fits you properly is in part dependent on whether or not the bow fits you properly.

Justlast weekmy senior tech saw me finally setting up a new bow for myself for the upcoming hunting season. He watched me for days adjusting each and every form issue and device and checking both grouping andhow much timeto get the shot off.

I got to a point where he thought I was shooting great but I still wasn't satisfied. I could shoot the left-handed bow better right-handed than left-handed. When shooting it right-handed I could shoot excellent groups; but, the left-handed groups were slightly 'off' and I struggled more to achieve a lesser group.

He then was shocked at what I did next. I put a 1/2" shorter module on the bow and "WOW" is all he could say. The left-handed group on the left-handed bow improved dramatically and shooting the left-handed bow right-handed was even slightly better. I mention this because this is just another advantage of shooting from either side.

But to the point in question. The kisser, which I use as a nose button for hunting because I wear a face mask, is just one of those items that has to fit with the rest of the 'system.' In my case I'm going from a 38" ata bow to a 34" ata bow and the geometry change is quite different. The string angle, release style, peep angle, and other things all have to be taken into consideration or one item can cause headaches.

After all the time and preliminaryset-up, the bowseemed to be 'right'; but,it was a small change in draw length that finally made it come together. I probably could have gotten away with a 1/4" DL change, but the modules only come in 1/2" changes. I know, I could play with the string/cables to get that 1/4", but I just don't have the time to fool with that. I've got to get customers' bows out the door.

Ps And I know what my draw length should be on a 38" ata bow. The string angle and related issues of a 34" ata can have eye-opening effects.

Old 07-25-2007, 12:10 PM

Len, excellent info as per your M.O......But it brought about a question....

Why were you shooting a left handed bow right handed?? I'm sure you have reason and I'm curious as to what it is....
Old 07-25-2007, 12:24 PM

Why were you shooting a left handed bow right handed??

I could give you the smart answer - Because I can!; but that would only be partially true.

There are two reasons why I shoot both ways. I used to shoot only right-handed but because Ibecameleft-eye dominate over time, I decided to switch. Switching over to a left-handed bow gave me a better sight picture. I've since gotten a contact for my right eye to make it better but I still prefer to remain predominatelyleft-handed in the event my contact fails (which it did once last year while hunting).

The other reason I wanted to develop shooting skills left-handed is so that I could tune/set-up bows for my left-handed customers. I used to get one of my left-handed techs to handle this and it was a burden when he wasn't available.

Since I can shoot equally well with either hand using the same bow, and since not being able to maneuver for the shot one year cost me a nice buck, I now wear a release on each hand when hunting and will take a shot either way without having to stand and maneuver.

In my seminars I always suggest to the Dealers in attendance that they learn to shoot both ways to benefit their customers. It will also benefit them in the long run.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Very informative Len. I took my peep off the other day, and it seesms like my groups got worse. I was doing the string on the nose, knuckle on jaw line to anchor. I live up near Philly, Pa. After reading alot of your posts, I am tempted to come down there to have my set up tuned to the way I shoot. What are you , about 2 hours from here.

Shane
Old 07-25-2007, 02:50 PM

You can get directions off of mapquest.He is at
5826 Ritchie Hwy.
Baltimore,Md 21225
(410)789-7777

Quick Reply: How many don't use a kisser anymore?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.