Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 bow making noise when I draw? >

bow making noise when I draw?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

bow making noise when I draw?

Old 07-16-2007, 11:02 PM
Fork Horn

Default bow making noise when I draw?

Anyone got any ideas. Got my new Truth bow and everything was fine . Had it set at 55 pounds andturned each bolt one complete turn to boost it to whatI thought would be around 57.5 lbs. Shot again and on the drawI get a noise from the cam when it hits the back wall(think its the cam). It sounds like the string running out of room as if I was hitting the back wall to fast. If I go real slow it won't make any noise. Backed the bow back down but now its there all the time. Did maybe the cam adjustment slip or something? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Will take it back to shop this weekend but can't imagine what it is. Really hate it when somehting like that happens to your new gadget. Thanks for any help.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:27 PM

Default RE: bow making noise when I draw?

I had something similair to what you described, but it wasn't the cam at all. I took the cable slide off of the bar and drew the bow. All was silent. After that my pro shop guy gave me a diff. slide to use and so far no noise. This may or may not be the case, but you could check and see.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:35 AM

I would check the draw lengh adjustment for loose screws. I know that once my bow's draw lengh adjustment screw fell out and made a noise.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BowHunterJim

I would check the draw lengh adjustment for loose screws. I know that once my bow's draw lengh adjustment screw fell out and made a noise.
Thats what I think it may be as well. Parkers and Bears are prone to this as much or more than most. Not a big deal, just something to keep and eye on.

Did you notice any difference in noise on the shot? Did it get any louder or anything like that on release?
Old 07-17-2007, 01:29 PM
Typical Buck

I'm giong through a similar problem with my Martin. Except when I draw back I get a noise and a grinding feeling. It's in the shop right now. The tech thinks that it is the string running out of the room. He is going to rotae the cable from it's current factory position which is at around 5:00 to the proper 2:00 position. Good Luck.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:45 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks everyone for the tips. I am going to take it to the shop tonight see what they say. I'll post and let you know what it was for future reference. Take care.
Old 07-19-2007, 02:08 PM
Fork Horn

Took it to the shop and found out what the noise is. Couldn't see it while I was drawing the bow. On the right side of the cam is a machined button for attaching one of the strings of the bow to the cam. For whatever reason the machined attachment point bangs into the string after making a complete revolution. Don't know if the string stretched and is allowing the cam to turn too much orifone of the other string attachment points slipped, but its getting about 1/32" to 1/16" too much travel and its hitting the main string with enough force to make the noise. The serving on the string is showing some wear at the point where it hits the cam and I have maybe shot 200 arrows at most from this bow. Gotta wait till tuesday to take it back to the shop whenthe headpro/owner gets back from vacation.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:43 PM
Site Bouncer

Whatdraw length module is on the bow?

I have a Code and the cam comes with a draw stop screw so you can fine tune your valley. This will also prevent the string from stopping on the buss cable post as you describe.

So either they didn't install it (the bow is shipped without the draw stop screw in place) or you have a #1 or #2 module on your bow in which case they do not accept the draw stop screw and the buss cable postIS the back wall. Mine stops on the post as well as I have a #1 module (31in draw for the code) but mine does not make the noise you describe. I can hear it hitting but it's very faint, not going to be an issue hunting.

For the code the #1 module equates to a 31in draw and the #2 is a 30in draw. If I'm not mistaken with the Truth the #1 will equal a 30in draw and the #2will give you a29in draw.

It's easy to tell, if your module is held in place with three allen head screws then you should be able to install the draw stop set screw. If it is attached with only two allen head screws then it's most likely a #1 or #2

The number will also be etched into the module itself, mine reads RSH1

Good luck and report back with what you find out.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:18 PM
Fork Horn

BigJ12, you hit it on the head. It appears I have a rs-1 or 2 module that doesn't have a stop and the buss cable post is the stop. Don't know why it got louder all of a sudden. They wrote in 28 inch draw on the bow so i figured I had a RS-3 module and somehow the stop broke off or something( Does the shop write that in or does the factory?). I use 30.75 inch arrows, I like them about an inchpast the shelf to make my hand feel safe so don't know if that length would indicate the overall draw length/module. Not sure whats going on, I just shoot em and rely upon them to set it up. Just know thatthe bowmakesa strange noise on the draw. On release it sounds like the peep sight tube maybe slapping the string now but thats something else i will deal with later. The sound I was getting on the draw has been quieted down by my installation of a small piece of duct tape around the cable where the buss post was hitting it. I am still not satisfied and will be checking out the actual modules to see how they compare to mine. Mine has nothing imprinted on it or if it does its hidden by the cam. My shop has been no help and seem to feel thats justhow the bow is but my bow was the only truth they had and don't look like they are getting anymore. I trust my own feelings and I feel something is not right and can't convince myself otherwise until I examine the modules. The very idea that I|have to place a piece of tape around the string on a $550 dollar bow to quiet it down irks me to no end. I posted some pics to help describe the problem. Anyway Thanks everyone, and I'll let you know how it finally ends. Maybe their right and its nothing but its like when you get a new sound in car you have been driving for years, everyone else says they don't hear it but you know something changed.

Old 07-30-2007, 09:56 PM
Site Bouncer

That "missing piece" you pointed out in the picture is indeed where the draw stop would be located had you had the shorter draw module. Your module (like mine) in held in by only two allen head screws. The shorter ones have three because there is an extra piece of material attached to the module that the draw stop set screw goes into.

With the module you have the buss cable post IS the back wall. Like I said I hear mine as well but it's not loud at all. Infact sometimes I don't hear it hitting at all and others it's a very faint "tap". If it really bothers you, you can try to glue in a small piece of rubber in the empty part of thecam groove to act as a buffer......but it might fly out when you shoot it.

Good luck and let me know what you come up with.

P.S. you may want to try and shrink the size of that photo.

Quick Reply: bow making noise when I draw?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.