HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   A possible cure for bad broadhead shooting? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/197475-possible-cure-bad-broadhead-shooting.html)

Pops423 07-12-2007 03:42 PM

A possible cure for bad broadhead shooting?

Guys,

For quite some time I've been trying to get bettershots with my broadheads. They always seemed to sail left. I had a thread on here a month or so ago andI thought my draw and release were too long. After adjusting those and getting my broadheads to shoot wellfor a few days, I was back to the same issues again. So I was back to square one. Although, the bow does feel better in my draw, I still had my broadheads planing left.

When I had my bow at the shop and papertuned a year or so ago, it appeared I was torquing the bow and they changed my grip. But at home, I always seemed to go back to my bad habits.

My friend was having the same issue and we were talking about all the things I had done. He found this article from Spot Hogg that talks about shooting with a glove. So I thought, what the heck, I've tried everything else.

It seems to have worked for me. I've been shooting like this for over a week now and it really has improved my broadhead flight and shots. I figured I'd give it some time as most of my other fixes, have faded. I've shot both my bows and have really notice a difference with both (for the best).

I did notice it takes some getting used to shooting with the glove (especially how slippery it felt.) I noticed the grip hits on a different spot on my palm (more out toward my thumb)and maybe that was my issue all along. But I will be ready come October.

Ifound this to be a really good article and it appears to have fixed my problem. Just thought I'd share it and see if anyone else had thoughts (good or bad) on this.

http://www.spot-hogg.com/newsletter12.shtml

Roskoe 07-12-2007 03:45 PM

RE: A possible cure for bad broadhead shooting?

Anything special about the glove?

KodiakArcher 07-12-2007 04:19 PM

ORIGINAL: Roskoe

Anything special about the glove?
It has to be slippery. I always hunt with a wool glove liner on so I make sure to target shoot that way too. I may try a lightweight poly-pro glove this year. :eek:

mnhunter_32 07-12-2007 04:29 PM

i use a light weight cotton glove

wapitibull375 07-12-2007 08:48 PM

Not sure what your setup is, but I had the same issue with my Trykon, Guardian, and Commander bows. I shoot Whisker Bisquits for my rests,
these for hunting, so checking clearance was a bit of a problem. No
matter how I tuned the bows, or what shafts I shot, my broadheads
would always shoot a few, ( 3-5 ) inches to the left. Really drove me
crazy. Ended up selling the Trykon, mainly because of that. Was still a
problem with the Bowtechs, until I changed the slide to a Saunders Hyper Glide Slide. No more shooting to the left. Broadheads and field points hit
in the exact same place. Paper tuned sweet too. Might think about it.
Mike

Arthur P 07-13-2007 05:44 AM

A lot of us old target shooters always carried a small bottle of talcum powder in our quivers to put on our bow hands to slick things up and let the handle settle in the grip the same way every time. Baby powder works just as well and some guys say the smell of baby powder draws elk like a magnet... if you ever get a chance to hunt elk. I've never had the smell affect deer one way or the other.

Pops423 07-13-2007 07:31 AM

Roskoe, the glove has to be slippery. I think any cloth type glove would work. For me, I think the problem was I was forcing it to sit in one place in my hand and therefore cause the bow to torque when I shot. The glove allowed the bow to sit properly and allows me to shoot better. Maybe it's a mental thing but it seems to work.

Wapiti, interesting on the cable slide. Any idea what cause that would have on arrow flight?

Arthur, I may have to try out the powder option too and see how that works.

bigbulls 07-13-2007 07:42 AM

Down here in Florida we are just dripping wet with sweat the moment we walk outsideso our hands are pretty slippery any way. ;)[:'(]

wapitibull375 07-13-2007 11:05 PM

The Hyper Glide holds the cables a little closer to the cable guard, which
gives me just a bit more clearance between the vanes and the cables.
I must have been just nicking the cable(s) with one of my vanes. I wasn't
able to really check that with the Wisker Bisquit and foot powder spray.
Only thing I can think of.

davepjr71 07-15-2007 07:45 PM

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

Down here in Florida we are just dripping wet with sweat the moment we walk outsideso our hands are pretty slippery any way. ;)[:'(]
I shoot my best here in MD when my hand is sweaty. I know it helps just hate it. I'm going to use either Underarmour or another manufacturer's skins gloves. Both are slick and will work well here.