HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   Limbs ( #'s ) (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/197241-limbs-s.html)

Bloodsaw 07-10-2007 07:26 PM

Limbs ( #'s )

Ok When i got my bow the limbs came on 60, or they where supposed to anyways, i turned them both down 1 full turn so i could get use to it, then planned on cranking it back up, well i was just wondering how do you know where your limbs areat their max? i am thinking its when they wont tighten anymor, just good and snug? well its hard already to loosen or tighten them, so just when they stop turning?

MDBUCKHUNTER 07-10-2007 07:33 PM

RE: Limbs ( #'s )

Limbs aren't necessarily at their max when the limb bolts are completely bottomed out (or all the way in). You can tweak a bow to get a few more lbs out of it by twisting the cables.

Bloodsaw 07-10-2007 07:55 PM

AS MY BOW IS, with the bolts tightened all the way i'll be at max tho wont i

MDBUCKHUNTER 07-10-2007 07:59 PM

Bolt all the way in does not mean the limbs are maxed out.

It just means the bolts are maxed out.

Bloodsaw 07-10-2007 08:24 PM

ok well when will the limbs be maxed out? or do u have to play with them to know, seems like to me if the bolts are all the way in the limbs are gonna be maxed? i really dont understand

MDBUCKHUNTER 07-10-2007 08:40 PM

Maxed out limbs are when your bow is in tune, the bolts are all the way in and the cables have the maximum twists on them.

See, you can twist your limb bolts all the way in and your bow limbs will still have more flex in reserve. Thus they are not maxed out. Getting this additional reserve by twisting the cable and having your bow in tune will make your limbs maxed out.

MDBUCKHUNTER 07-10-2007 08:44 PM

Example: Diving Board

A diving board is attached to the pool side by 2 bolts and 2 springs.

The directions from the manufacturer state that the maximum capacity of the diving board is 300lbs.

Through testing you have found that by tightening thebolts all the way down so the springs collapse, the diving board can at least hold 350lbs.

This additional 50lbs is the reserve.

Setting up for a 350lb diver makes this board maxed out. Much like bow limbs when the reserve has been accounted for.

Arthur P 07-10-2007 10:02 PM

Your limbs are maxed when the draw weight checks out at the maximum weight they are rated for. Period.

You CAN get more out of them by twisting the string and cables up to put more preload on the limbs, but that's not really smart. By doing that you put the limbs under excess strain which reduces their service life. You also increase the brace height *** although I must admit I do not know if it works that way for parallel limb bows. Maybe someone who knows can chime in and educate me on that?*** Anyway, raising brace height reduces the bow's power stroke and pretty much erases any speed or energy benefit from overloading the limbs by a couple of pounds.

I like to set up my bows so that I hit peak weight with my limb bolts a full turn from bottomed out. That gives me some cushion to work with in order to fine tune my tiller. Getting the tiller just right is FAR more important than a measely 2-3 extra pounds of draw weight.

Straightarrow 07-11-2007 06:48 AM

Bows are designed to optimally shoot a particular arrow at a particular draw weight. Arbitrarily increasing or decreasing draw weight is not a good idea, especially when shooting broadheads. You want the draw weight set to match the dynamic spine of your arrows. If it exceeds the maximum draw weight rating of your limbs, then you need to add tip weight to get more flex on the arrow. You could probably force a 60 lb limb to draw at 70 or 75 lbs, but why would you want to risk injury and a busted bow for that?

Bloodsaw 07-11-2007 10:35 AM

Lol, i never said anything about taking the weight over 60 pounds, and i do not want to, by maxed out i meant 60 pounds