Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Where do you focus?  Front sight or target? >

Where do you focus? Front sight or target?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Where do you focus? Front sight or target?

Old 07-05-2007, 07:25 PM

Default RE: Where do you focus? Front sight or target?

Lots of close answers but the real answer is the center of the middle of the center where the little dot can be seen in the CENTER
Old 07-05-2007, 08:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I try to focus on the target. When I'm shooting well, that is how I'm doing the aiming. When I start shooting like crap, I am usually having a brain fart and focus on the pin. When I focus on the target, often the arrows just seem like they are hitting that spot, almost by themselves.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

I may be way off base on this one, but there are so many things to focus on when shooting. Pin, target, proper form, smooth release, follow through. For me it's perfect practice makes perfect shots. One can practice all day long the wrong way, and the only thing you will accomplish is teaching your body bad habits. When all the above become automatic, then one only has to concentrate and visualize the arrow hitting the spot without hesitation.

I get so tired of hearing those that say, practice, practice practice... As a former horse trainer and son of an Olympic gold metal winner, you must work on perfect practice. I would rather practice something perfect for 10 minutes than spend hours working on bad habits.

Shoot with good shooters, or get an instructor or coach.. I hate to put my good Ole buddy Ausie-Guy on a pedestal, ( God knows he does a good enough job of that himself ) But shooting with him has taught me so much and eliminated some bad habits I had.. Thanks sport!
Old 07-06-2007, 01:17 PM

me myself i focus on the target... if i focus on the pin the pin is always moving, taget isn't i think this works hunting or target shooting!!
Old 07-06-2007, 03:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll try to be short and sweet.

I always figure I can't hit what I can't see. And I certainly can't see what I in't lookin at. Therefore I look at where I want my arrow to go.
Old 07-06-2007, 04:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

But shooting with him has taught me so much and eliminated some bad habits I had.. Thanks sport!
Gee Bob when I saw my name I thought you was gonna have another shot at me

But thank you for the kind words I try and help anyone who is willing to be helped maybe I should have a career change and become a archery coach.
But the way I look at it what is the point of having all this knowledge and not pass it on even tho I had to learn the hard way by making every stupid mistake possible, as there where no coaches around when I was learning but I did manage to make it to the big time[8D]
Old 07-06-2007, 06:54 PM
Typical Buck

WHAT!
Old 07-06-2007, 07:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Ausie-guy

But shooting with him has taught me so much and eliminated some bad habits I had.. Thanks sport!
Gee Bob when I saw my name I thought you was gonna have another shot at me

But thank you for the kind words I try and help anyone who is willing to be helped maybe I should have a career change and become a archery coach.
But the way I look at it what is the point of having all this knowledge and not pass it on even tho I had to learn the hard way by making every stupid mistake possible, as there where no coaches around when I was learning but I did manage to make it to the big time[8D]

diddo

I will say the target is the most important thing to focus on.The rest should besecond naturefrom hours of practice.

This is where shooting with both eyes open is the best way to shoot if at all possible.When I shoot,the pin will just superimpose itself on the target andI have a full field of view.
Old 07-06-2007, 07:49 PM

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

Focus on the pin works okay for shooting targets, but I do NOT want my focus on anything except the target when I'm shooting at an animal. An animal might move a little bit and if you were really focused on the pin there's a good chance you wouldn't notice. So, since I don't want to shoot one way for targets and another way for hunting, I always focus on the target.
Arthur, with all due respect, it is NOT ok to focus on the pin for target. I guess it's ok if you don't care if you hit the target, but if you want a good score, you better be focusing your eyes on the exact spot that you want to hit.

One reason for confusion is that there are really two ways to focus:

One,your eyes - I don't know of any successful target archers who don't focus their eyes on the target.

Two,mental focus - there are two schools of thought on this. The Olympic recurve archers concentrate their mental focus on smooth execution and aim subconsciously. Two of the best coaches in the world teach this method, Kisik Lee and Terry Wunderle. Both have had a lot of successful students.
The other school of thought is to focus both your eyes and your mind on the target and let your shot run subconsciously. This was the method taught by Al Henderson and Len Cardinale. It is also described pretty well in Bernie Pellerite's book, Idiot Proof Archery. (Bernie learned it from Len.) There have been several gold medals using this method, but it has been afew years. Good traditional archers also use this method.

Personally, I find that I shoot much better if I focus both mind & eyes on the target.

I think the best method for all archers is to consider your pin and sight pictureas you front anchor. Getting your pin on the target and setting up a good sight picture is just part of drawing to anchor. This avoids the "gold shy" version of target panic. Of course you will have other anchors such as hand on your jaw and nose on the string.

Once you are at anchor, then you turn total focus to the target.

I think that most of us will be more accurate with this method.