Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Bow warm up to shoot well >

Bow warm up to shoot well

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Old 07-04-2007, 10:55 AM
bigcountry

Default Bow warm up to shoot well

I am tuning a neighbors bow, a duel cam nova, and it will not shoot well on the first few shots. Paper tuning or target, or broadhead tuning. But after 3-6 shots, it shoots perfect bullet holes and litterly 4" group at 40 yards, (not bad for a 200 dollar bow). He has had this bow for maybe 5 years. Anyone else experience this? Think its bowstring, limbs or maybe arrows? I didn't believe it and thought it was the shooter, soI tried it 2 days in a row, and first thing in the morning it shoots bad. I bet its been shot over 8000 shots over its life. Which should be nothing.

Old 07-04-2007, 11:02 AM

Default RE: Bow warm up to shoot well

bigc, how's the string and cables look in the area of the cable slide? and the cable slide itself? i'm reaching here buddy.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:07 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: gibblet

bigc, how's the string and cables look in the area of the cable slide? and the cable slide itself? i'm reaching here buddy.
I put on brand new cables for him last year. But his cable slide is causing them to look bad and wear fast, as he has a MZE. He keeps them waxed well, but sometimes builds up in that area. So he as to disasseble and clean out.

Old 07-04-2007, 11:15 AM

i'm wondering if that area doesn't behave properly until it gets heated a little by friction - w/ the roughness and wax in there. like i said i'm reaching here -but it may be the issue.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:16 AM
bigcountry

Maybe, its a fairly thick cable made of fastflight. I guess I could open it up a little with a drill.

Old 07-04-2007, 11:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Get John to make you a set of 20 strand cables out of 452x or 8125for it before you go drilling.
Old 07-04-2007, 12:20 PM

Not likely. It's a bow, not an internal combustion engine. Much more likely to be operator error.
Old 07-04-2007, 02:17 PM

I agree with Len, I think normally WE need to warm up or get used to the bow rather than the bow needing any warm up period.

I sure hope it doesn't work that way anyhow, because when I hunt it is with one shot out of a cold bow.

I do have a few guns that are like this though. And I sight them in for the first shot out of cold clean barrel for that reason. It takes a while, but it's worth it my opinion.

Paul
Old 07-04-2007, 02:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

I tend to agree it may be the shooters getting used to the bow.The grip area may be the culprit.You are most likely torquing it untill you get a feel for it.

On the other hand,it could be the limb pockets having some shift and after a couple shots,the limbs settle into place and it shoots better.
Old 07-04-2007, 04:43 PM
bigcountry

Ok, lets rephrase the question, to clear some confusion, lets say a person shooting was a machine, and perfect form. Lets say he picks up his own bow every day and it shoots great first 6 arrows, and after, but finds a bow that doesn't and requires 3 or so arrows to start shooting well. has any experienced tuner seen it? If not, I understand. Guys, that the first thing I thought too, but after shooting it for 2 days, I am also seeing something I haven't seen before either.I have a feeling, gib might be on to something. Espeically with the MZE. I am going to see if the arm is too tight on it.

Quick Reply: Bow warm up to shoot well

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.