Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

French Tuning

Old 07-08-2007, 02:50 PM

Default RE: French Tuning

Recently had a situation where a new bow would'walk back'and 'french' tune very well, but wouldn't paper tuneworth a darn.With all the tools I have and after changing string and cables, I was really leaning towards a riser problem.As a last resort I switched limbs and the problem was solved.

Or so I thought the problem solved. When I first shot the bow after replacing the limbs, it 'appeared' to be a lot better; but, as I shot the bowmore, the paper tune 'walked' back to its original position and wouldn't shoot BHs worth a darn - and I'm talking real bad.

I decided today to tear the bow down and do some indepth laser checking and tolerance analysis. I kept telling the manufacturer it was in the riser and they wouldn't believe it. When I switched a few items around and did some rather neat tolerance matching, it all came together.

This thing is now drilling field tips and BHs into the same holes. I will, however, not give the bow to the customer until I have a chance to shoot it more to assure that the problem is now definitely solved.

I know I've spent too much time on this bow but, it's a learning opportunity. I enjoy these sorts of challenges now and then.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've been talking about French tuning since I joined this forum in February. I sight in at 4 yds and it's on at 50 at with my current set-up.

My Muzzy's (old full size, not MX3 or MX4) hit the same place as my field tips and the only time I've ever shot through paper with my new bow was to prove that I was tuned right with French tuning.

French is quicker than walk back and to me eliminates unnecessary steps if you can shoot consistent groups at 50 to 55 yds.

Of course, the draw back is that if you do not have a range that goes that far then walk back would be a better choice.

Old 07-08-2007, 09:54 PM

Is it possible that youhave missed or overlooked the basis of my posts?
Old 07-09-2007, 05:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

No Len.I was simply responding to the original post and yours was before mine. He was talking about French tuning and not paper tuning.

I prefer French over paper and think sometimes people get too caught up in the pretty hole through paper. They rely only on paper and paper is the gospel.There are top ranked competitive shooters that only use French Tuning.

It's possible to have a good hole through paper and still have issues with your rig and there are people that don't believe that. It's also possible to have a bad hole through paper nad have a rig that is perfectly in tune from 10 yds to 100 yds.

Also, you asked if you use walk back or French will your broadheads hit the same. I'm saying yes theydid for me with the older longer Muzzy's.I didn't need to go to the stubby new models at over 290 fps.

On a separate note. I've thought about this all night and still don't know how shooting a softball sized group at 65 yds has anything to do with French tuning. The basis of the method is to take the center of your group at 50 to 55 yds and adjust your rest accordingly after you've sighted in your pin at a close range that is the first point where the arrow crosses the arc of travel. 50 - 55 being the second point. I had just started back into shooting and was lucky to get a pie plate at 50 yds and my set-up is on. As long as you can get a consistent shot the method works.

Old 07-09-2007, 09:55 AM

Don't kid yourself, you could do french tuning and still have some serious problems with your set up as well.

Paul
Old 07-09-2007, 10:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

No single tuning method works for all people. Period. It's good to know and use a variety of methods.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Paul,

What other problems could I have if my arrow flies true and my broadheads hit were my field tips do after French tuning. I see no need to go down any other road. I've gotten better paperbulletholes with that method than just trying to paper tune.

I agree it's good to know other methods. It just seems that paper is relied on way too much as an indication that you are good to go.I used to be in that catagory. Then people have to use expendables or short broadheads or even adjust their sights for their broadheads.

I think people fall into the trap I used to be in. They want to tinker and tinker to make sure their equipment is perfect when it probably was at some point along the time all the tinkering was done.

Old 07-09-2007, 03:39 PM

but what i want to know is - so what if serious competitive archers use it - there are guys in podunk hicktown who shoot 10 arrows a year who could beat those guys - right?
Old 07-09-2007, 04:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

[:-]

Tuning definately has several layers but as my thread don't stop at walk back tuning got into.( http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2020182 )A truely tuned setup should be able to shoot very close to a bullethole.Doesn't meanit is necessary but it is quite possible.Like I have stated MANY times,you should not paper tune but rather you should use paper to check your tune.

As Len was trying to point out,if you french tune or walk back and get your centershot set perfectly and don't have a very good tear(doesn't have to be dead perfect)you probably have issues somewhere.Most of the time the issue is a spine issue or torque but you can see from Len's post that sometimes it can go deeper than that.

Most don't have the time,equipment or know how to fix a problem that goes beyond spine and torque so alot say not to worry about it.

BUT,most high end bows today will have no problem achieving both,a bow that will french tune or walk back to centershot and still have bullet holes in paper,or very close.

Problem is when you attach fixed blade heads to a bow that will not paper when centershot is properly set,you lose forgiveness in that setup.It may shoot fixed head with field points in the back yard or close but you will lack much forgiveness.You may have issues that could potentially become dangerous if something such as a limb is starting to fail.

Let me add this,if I had to choose one method and stick with it,whatever gave me the best centershot would be my choice and I would forget the paper.French tuning probably would be the best as far as only using one method.

I prefer walk back and then group tuning.Paper takes care of itself after I have gotten spine figured out.(barring any issues mechanically)
Old 07-09-2007, 07:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

I don't care anything about the French. I don't even eat French fries because of the name, much less tune my bow to frog way. If it wasn't for America, they would all be speaking German... Notice I did capitalize German, but not french.

Quick Reply: French Tuning

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.