Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

French Tuning

Old 07-03-2007, 03:47 AM
Fork Horn

Default French Tuning

I recently discovered a cool tuning method called "French Tuning", which is kind of like walk back tuning but easier. Sight in a pin to hit dead on a small dot at 3yds. Shoot that same pin at 55-60 yds (should be close to dead on at that distance, but use a large target just in case.) If you are left or right, adust your rest to compensate. Repeat until perfect alignment at 3 yds and 60 yds.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:57 AM

Default RE: French Tuning

Same concept.... you've got to walk back to get from 3 to 50 yards. I always alternate between 20 and 60 yards. No reason to start at 3 yards that I can think of, other than your sight will probably be near the same spot, vertically. Besides, I shoot small groups to eliminate shooter error and I wouldn't want to shoot groups at 3 yards.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:37 AM

French tuning... what would The Nuge say?!
Old 07-03-2007, 10:02 PM

Don't trust anything that says french in the name. My guess it means drop your bow and run in the other direction. LMAO!!! Sorry I can't take credit for this. Aussie Guy came up with that line. But I just had to use it just once. LOL
Old 07-04-2007, 03:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's a great tuning method, if you can shoot great shots. You should be able to hit a dot the size of pencil eraser at 3 yards, and a group the size of a softball at 65 or so for it to be effective. If you can accomplish this it is a great means of finding centershot for the bow.
Old 07-04-2007, 06:00 PM

Ifyou 'walk back' or 'french' tune with field tips, will yourbroadheads hit the same???
Old 07-04-2007, 08:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Len in Maryland

Ifyou 'walk back' or 'french' tune with field tips, will yourbroadheads hit the same???
You and I both know the answer to that is not necessarily. It is a great way to start tuning for dynamic centershot, however there are too many other conditions such as cam/idler lean, spine, nock height, arrow clearance, etc that affect where a fixed blade broadhead will impact as compared to field points.
Old 07-04-2007, 09:59 PM

Rick:

You know it and I know it, but how many on here think that one tuning method will solve their problems? How many truly know that they have a tuned system verses how many think they have a tuned system? How manydon't know that they lose energy/penetration when the 'system' isn't truly right?

Recently had a situation where a new bow would'walk back'and 'french' tune very well, but wouldn't paper tuneworth a darn.With all the tools I have and after changing string and cables, I was really leaning towards a riser problem.As a last resort I switched limbs and the problem was solved.

Further check by the manufacturer revealed that we had a weak side on one limb whichcaused dynamic problems. Bottom line is that the bow shot extremely well and I wouldn't have known thatany problem existed without good old paper tuning. Of course, you have to know how to do it correctly.

Good shooting.
Old 07-05-2007, 04:54 AM

Start out with dynamic spine testing, then walk-back tune using broadheads and you'll know if you got everything right. If you can get your broadheads to fly perfectly, your field tips should follow suit.
Old 07-05-2007, 06:03 AM

that's some serious detective work there len.

Quick Reply: French Tuning

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.