HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   shooting form (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/196138-shooting-form.html)

treboryerf 07-01-2007 05:43 PM

shooting form

OK all u guys with perfect shooting form,I have a question.Bow arm; should u shoot with elbow straight or slightly bent?

fufanu360 07-01-2007 05:54 PM

RE: shooting form

not locked, slight bend

dangolbowhunter 07-01-2007 08:39 PM

Check out this sight.

http://www.bowhunting.net/randyulmer/default.htm

TFOX 07-01-2007 08:46 PM

It's really a personal thing.There is NO "perfect" solution to this age old question.

I will say that most coaches that I am seeing are teaching the straight arm method.I personally HATE a bent arm and can't see how anyone can repeat it but to each his own.I personally shoot a staight arm but not locked or tense.

For hunting,I can see why one would prefer a bent arm but I have no problem clearing my clothing with a straight arm so I don't plan on changing.

bigcountry 07-01-2007 09:35 PM

ORIGINAL: TFOX

I will say that most coaches that I am seeing are teaching the straight arm method.
Wow, thats a first. Never seen a coach or any book ever teach someone that.

Washington Hunter 07-02-2007 02:03 AM

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

ORIGINAL: TFOX

I will say that most coaches that I am seeing are teaching the straight arm method.
Wow, thats a first. Never seen a coach or any book ever teach someone that.
Straight doesn't necessarily mean locked.

A lot of people confuse a "bent arm" with an arm that is straight, but not locked.

I shoot with a straight arm, unlocked.

Arthur P 07-02-2007 06:12 AM

The old 'bent arm' stuff came along when they started making bows with ultra low brace heights. You shot a bow with a 5" brace with a bent arm to get your forearm out of the way. Otherwise it'd rake the hide off your arm and string contact would throw the arrow off into the ozone. Thank goodness THOSE days have come and gone!

I shoot with a little crook in the elbow, but not much. Basically the same exact arm/low wrist grip position I use to shoot a longbow. You did know the're putting longbow style grips on compounds these days, didn't you? ;)

On the old pistol grip type handles, I use more of a recurve style shooting form, straight but not locked elbow and medium wrist grip.

SwampCollie 07-02-2007 07:47 AM

My arm is slightly bent, but it is also extended all the way out. Here is what I mean by that.

I hold the bow with my thumb and forefinger. So my hand is sort of turned 45 degrees to the grip anyway. I roll my left shoulder (I am right handed) back and down (low bow shoulder). That naturally rotates my elbow straight away from my body. So my elbow is fully extended, but, my arm still has a slight bend. This way, I have NEVER hit my forearm, but I am relying on bones, not muscles, for my support, which I think is a much more repeatable and solid platform for accuracy.

Rick James 07-02-2007 09:31 AM

Been through extensive coaching with 2x seperate NAA and NFAA certified coaches, both of which have students holding world records and one of which has 2x students on US archery team. Both teach straight arm, not hyperextended. I shoot straight arm and can shoot the straight arm with absolutely no tension in it or in my front shoulder if I bottom out the shoulder. I shoot the same way with a hunting setup and if you are usinga proper grip on it I never have arm contact issues even with cold weather hunting clothes.

This debate is as old as the hills and you will always see people on both sides of the fence. Look at the pro's though, and you will see both as well, but a LOT more of them with a straight arm.Then again,some shoot very well with a bent arm. It all depends on repeatability and almost as important..........if you can do it with no tension in the arm and shoulder.

Jesse Broadwater shoots the bent elbow VERY well:

Corey Monahan shoots very well with a straight arm:

gibblet 07-02-2007 02:24 PM

really appreciate the info art. makes perfect sense. very good to know where that came from.