Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

shooting form

Old 07-02-2007, 04:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: shooting form

ORIGINAL: Rick James

Been through extensive coaching with 2x seperate NAA and NFAA certified coaches, both of which have students holding world records and one of which has 2x students on US archery team. Both teach straight arm, not hyperextended. I shoot straight arm and can shoot the straight arm with absolutely no tension in it or in my front shoulder if I bottom out the shoulder. I shoot the same way with a hunting setup and if you are usinga proper grip on it I never have arm contact issues even with cold weather hunting clothes.

This debate is as old as the hills and you will always see people on both sides of the fence. Look at the pro's though, and you will see both as well, but a LOT more of them with a straight arm.Then again,some shoot very well with a bent arm. It all depends on repeatability and almost as important..........if you can do it with no tension in the arm and shoulder.

Jesse Broadwater shoots the bent elbow VERY well:

Corey Monahan shoots very well with a straight arm:

Thanks Rick James,saved me some typing inresponse to bigcountry.

I will say that my level 4 coach,friend, also teaches straight arm.
Old 07-02-2007, 05:48 PM
Fork Horn

There is no proper/ best way to shoota bow. Some professional shoot with a slightly bentarm and some with straight. I myself use to shoot straight but when I decided to shoot with a slightly bentarm,my groups improve and it was much more forgiving for me to shoot that way. This is a personal preference, shoot the style you feel more comfortable in.
Old 07-02-2007, 06:15 PM

ORIGINAL: Washington Hunter

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

ORIGINAL: TFOX

I will say that most coaches that I am seeing are teaching the straight arm method.
Wow, thats a first. Never seen a coach or any book ever teach someone that.
Straight doesn't necessarily mean locked.

A lot of people confuse a "bent arm" with an arm that is straight, but not locked.

I shoot with a straight arm, unlocked.
Same here. I was alwats told to shoot with a bent arm, but found out that the truth is you just need to make sure your arm is not locked, and then decide on your own whether you want your arm straight, slightly bent, bent, etc. It is really based on your shooting style, as long as your arm isn't locked.
Old 07-02-2007, 07:49 PM

The archers with the best form in the world, the olympic recurve archers, all shoot with a straight arm. On somethe elboweven appears to belocked. It is the only way to get a perfectly repeatableform arrow after arrow.

It is far less critical for compound shooters due to the letoff and our rear sights. We don't have to be as perfectly repeatable with our form as the OR archers. For most, it would be better if we did, but Jesse and other, prove that it is not necessary.

Archers who are strictly bowhunters may be better served with a bent elbow. This allows them to shoot from awkward positions and still maintain full draw. If they don't have some additionaldrawin researve, they may creap on the shot in some positions. This is also why bowhunters will usually do better with a more open shoulders that target archers.