Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Am I too light?! >

Am I too light?!

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Am I too light?!

Old 06-30-2007, 07:51 PM

Default Am I too light?!

Hi guys: I've been using 25" GT XT hunters with 75 grain tips and blazer vanes out of my bow set at 56lbs. I was planning on using 75 grain wasp boss bullets for hunting. However the thread on hunting arrow weight got me thinking. My arrows are very light comparing to most of the setups noted. Mine only weigh 302 grains complete. Should I bump up the weight and, if so, how much?
Old 06-30-2007, 08:11 PM

Default RE: Am I too light?!

No, you're good. Heavier would give a bit more momentum though.
Old 06-30-2007, 09:09 PM

Should be fine for deer. Anything bigger, and I would recommend going to an arrow about 25% heavier.
Old 06-30-2007, 09:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

For target shooting, your fine. But for hunting I would go a little heavier. You will get better penetration with a heavier arrow.
Old 06-30-2007, 09:44 PM

ORIGINAL: Roskoe

Should be fine for deer. Anything bigger, and I would recommend going to an arrow about 25% heavier.
Deer only. I shoulda mentioned that in the first post.
Old 07-01-2007, 08:45 AM
Typical Buck

If u can get away with shooting a heavier set up and still be accurate out to ur comfort zone do it! You will et more penitration with a heavier arrow.Good luck!
Old 07-01-2007, 08:49 AM

You need to play around with a ballistics calculator and see just how much of a difference a heavier arrow would make on your set up. It may not effect the trajectory as much as you think, especially at 20-25 yards out of a tree stand.

I would be looking at heavier tips at least. 75 grn heads and blazers can't be giving you the best FOC. I would have to look it up though.

What kind of a bow do you shoot?

I shoot nearly the same set up as you and I use 450 grn aluminum arrows.

Paul
Old 07-01-2007, 09:00 AM

I think you'd have a better chance of success with a heavier arrow.

90% of my shots are in the 6-15 yards range. Unless your shot opportunities are a lot longer for some reason, trajectory is simply not a concern. Especially since you should know the distance.

In my opinoin your arrow could weigh twice as much and you would only increase your chances of success. Weight not only brings greater penetration, but adding it to the tip will increase stability and forgiveness.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:59 AM

Thanks guys, I've been looking at Easton Full Metal Jackets. According to the program "On Target!" I've been using, the size 500 FMJ's with 100grain tips and blazers would spine just about right for my setup. There about 70 grains heavier.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:40 AM

I would go heavier yet, that still puts you at under 400 grns.

The real question is do you have trouble killing deer with your current set up? If you are having problems with penetration and what not then I would seriously consider a heavier arrow.

Those light arrows are fine for normal people shooting an abundance of power. I mean a guy shooting a new bowtech at 29 inches of draw and 70 lbs of draw weight could put a piece of straw through a deer.

However us little people need the extra umph of a heavier arrow and a sharp easy penetrating head.

Paul

Quick Reply: Am I too light?!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.