Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Am I too light?! >

Am I too light?!

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Am I too light?!

Old 07-03-2007, 08:56 AM
Spike

Default RE: Am I too light?!

I don't know if I would agree to just add more weight upfront..

the most important things, beside reasonable weight, are a sharp broadhead, and excellent arrow flight..

[/align]
Old 07-03-2007, 11:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

the most important things, beside reasonable weight, are a sharp broadhead, and excellent arrow flight..
Excellent arrow flight definitely. Hence the high FOC. That helps give excellent arrow flight.

But you can't 'just' add more weight up front. You have to plan it out first. Knowing how much weight you want up front, is a key step to figuring out what spine arrow shaft to use. The FOC calculator at Jackson's is a good tool for building cyber test arrows and playing with FOC values.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:09 PM
Spike

Arthur,

have you found it accurate?

in my admitted limited testing-what it claims my arrow weight in total is-to what is read on a digital scale is different.

another recommendation I would have is to use a cut on impact broadhead like the SteelForce.

a lady had a pass through on a Polar Bear shooting 54lbs Mathews SwitchBackXT

[/align]
Old 07-03-2007, 01:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

It's not 100% on the mark, Doug, because the calculator uses average weights for arrow components. If the inserts, vanes and nocks weigh more or less than the averages the program uses, it will not weigh out dead nuts the same as the calculator says. On the other hand, it's plenty close enough to give you a very good idea of what you'll wind up with.

Actually, I've never had it be off more than 5 grains with the arrows I've run on it. I've seen greater weight variances than that within a dozen carbon shafts.

Agreed on the recommendation for cut on contact heads. Steelforce, Magnus Stingers, etc.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

My wife's setup is pulling 50lbs and shooting a 385grain arrow and come hunting season she will be shooting a 100grain montec for broadheads. Out to 25 or 30 yards Im sure she will get enough penetration.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I forgot to add, she is also shooting easton axis arrows. The smaller diameter will help in penetration also.
Old 07-04-2007, 06:20 AM

I don't know if I would agree to just add more weight upfront..
Of course not. Anyone who reads a number of my posts, know that I address this all the time. I'm not just talking heavy weight, I refer to any weight. Whether it's 75 gr, 100 gr, 125 gr or larger, it should be a carefully thought out choice, that's confirmed as proper with testing.