HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   Fletching preferences (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/195903-fletching-preferences.html)

fjp326 06-29-2007 07:19 AM

Fletching preferences

I have noticed in this forum that alot of shooters are using blazers. I'm in need of some new arrows and would like to know the advantages/disadvantages of the blazers as compared to the 4" duravanes I have now. If it makes a difference I'm set up with a drop away rest. I'm new at this and open to all opinions. Thanks in advance for all input.

P.S. My arrow choice will probably be the Gold tip pro 5575's

RIStrutStopper 06-29-2007 08:04 AM

RE: Fletching preferences

I like blazers because they are tough. They don't rip as easy as most vanes, they are stiffer which I believe makes them quieter, and they just plain work.

Arthur P 06-29-2007 08:56 AM

I can find no room for disagreement with RIStrutStopper's comment. Dangit.[&o]

;)

mobow 06-29-2007 08:57 AM

And they are about 4 grains a piece lighter, which obviously gains you a bit of speed (all be it 3 or 4 fps) and a tad higher FOC, which is a good thing w/ broadheads.

Where I think the blazers really shine is high speeds. 4" vanes have a tougher time stabilizing the arrow. Guys shoot 4" vanes at high speeds, and they do work. I guess the bottom line is if your broadheads fly good w/ 4" vanes, the only thing you really have to gain is speed and FOC, which will both be minimal. I changed because at the time, I was shooting 5" feathers, and we all know they just don't like to get wet. After some testing I discovered blazers work just as good as feathers, and they don't mind water, so I changed.

fufanu360 06-29-2007 05:11 PM

i love blazers, they fly like darts everytime, plus theyre really tuff, i pulled one right through my bag target, and the vanes were still stuck on, just a little bit wrinkled, nothing a hairdryer wouldnt fix

wis_bow_huntr 06-30-2007 06:28 AM

I like good old feathers. If you get a good pass through and can use your arrow again but its all overed in blood, just wash and blow dry on low heat, good as new. Plus they dont wrinkle up.

bow_hunter44 06-30-2007 01:38 PM

They (blazers) do work well. I have been shooting three arrows with blazers and three with Duravane predators for a while now to see if I can see a difference (I had some issue with an odd tear pattern with the predators when I first put them on, but it was cured by lord only knows what). Thus far I can not shoot well enough to tell any difference between them. I have yet to shoot either of them with my big ol' broadheads. When I do that comparision it will also include feathers. TFOX made a good observation once upon a time - feathers are very forgiving on the way to a target in the event of hitting a branch or some other unauthorized obsticle - blazers being stiff are not forgiving in such a situation. I guess there is, unfortunately, no such thing as perfect....