Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Do you align broadheads w/ fletchings or not >

Do you align broadheads w/ fletchings or not

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Do you align broadheads w/ fletchings or not

Old 06-20-2007, 08:03 PM
Typical Buck

Default Do you align broadheads w/ fletchings or not

I was wondering what you guys do as far as aligning broadheads w/ fletchings. I've found if my bow is tuned properly doesn't really matter. My buddy swears you must align. What side of the fence are you guys on. Oh by the waywe bothshoot fixed blade heads
Old 06-20-2007, 09:13 PM

Default RE: Do you align broadheads w/ fletchings or not

I don't bother. Until somebody can show me scientific proof that an archer would benefit from aligning both objects, I won't even consider it.

Besides, I use a 3 vane arrow with a four blade head.

Old 06-20-2007, 09:23 PM

Old 06-20-2007, 09:24 PM

To follow up on my thoughts.....

If you think of nascar and the draft....a car benefits when in the draft regardless of the distance back from the lead car (within reason). All cars are the same shape.
Now apply this to an arrow. The blades on a three blade broadhead are acting like the lead car. But....the draft created could only be utilizedtoit's maximumif the vanes were the same height and in the same position as the broadhead blades.

So, with helical....how would you align to utilize the draft? You can't.

So, with offset....how would you align to utilize the draft? You would have to use a broadhead with offset blades. (how many BH's have offset blades?)

So, how many people (to gain maximum benefit from the draft) use straight fletch?IMO, straight fletchis pretty useless for stabilizing a broadhead.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:27 PM
Fork Horn

I use to believe that that you were supposed to until more experienced hunters said it doesn't make a difference.
Old 06-21-2007, 04:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

I've heard of it, but I have also heard of Big Foot and haven't seen one yet!
Old 06-21-2007, 05:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

It doesn't hurt to align your blades with the fletches. Doesn't DO anything, other than take up some of your time.

Some guys claim aligning their blades and fletches shrinks their broadhead group size about a half inch at 60 yards....
Old 06-21-2007, 05:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: The Rev

I've heard of it, but I have also heard of Big Foot and haven't seen one yet!
Bob, just so you know you were hunting with bigfoots little brother last weekend. Don't you remember having to look for him in the woods?
Old 06-21-2007, 05:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Do you align broad heads w/ fletchings or not

I've also been told not get a bow that shoots over 280 FPS with broad heads, because they will drift.
I am shooting 315 FPS with my BH. I cannot shoot the same dot on my Morrell Yellow jacket at 40 yards or I will shave off my vanes or damage my arrows. If they fly that consistent, I'mhappy.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Do you align broad heads w/ fletchings or not

Lots of myth concerning this , No I dont do what you describe , and could see it being very dificult for those shooting carbons to do , besides being useless .

The only time I consider blade orintation is when shooting a 2 blade head . I find that most shoot better when the blades are level with the shelf of the risor , the edge of the blade giving less wind resistance to the poor horizontal nock travel most of the bows produced nowadays have , with the cabelrod toqure built in .

Quick Reply: Do you align broadheads w/ fletchings or not

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.