Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Oh no....my string broke >

Oh no....my string broke

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Oh no....my string broke

Old 06-20-2007, 03:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Oh no....my string broke

Afew fine strands I don't think is an issue though. It depends on how many fine strands or if it's a whole strand. However, I'll defer to the experts on this.
Old 06-20-2007, 04:07 PM
Typical Buck

I have heard of some peeps having problems a few months back. They would turn egg shape and some would even break. It was a large size peep. I can’t remember what brand it is.

And as far as the string separator goes, I think they are a bad idea. It ranks up there with using pencils, nails, screwdrivers, ect. Your better off having your bow pressed. Just think about what the cost of a new string is VS the few dollars you save by jamming something through your string to put peeps or leaches in. Most pro shops don’t charge to put that stuff in, at least I have never been charged by any shop.
Old 06-20-2007, 05:48 PM

That has me thinking about my guardian.........hmm hope it was just a fluke thing. By the way where in SD are u?
Old 06-20-2007, 05:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: KodiakArcher

It may have been the person who installed the peep. It's easy to break strands if they split the string at full poundage instead of pressing the bow. Don't ask me how I know...[&:] but at least I replaced the damaged string when I did it.
I thought thats what the straight spike next to the corkscrew (which also works) on my swiss army knife was for?

I agree with you Kodiak...I think whoever put that peep in probably nicked the string with blade or flame. Although, it could well have been a burr. The peep may have been tied in too tight as well....believe it or not....you can serve one in too tight. Hard angles are hard on strings...and it acts almost like a saw. Thats why when they do break...its often at the cams...because its a hard point. Mathews bows are pretty bad about that.
Old 06-20-2007, 06:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ArrowMike

I have heard of some peeps having problems a few months back. They would turn egg shape and some would even break. It was a large size peep. I can’t remember what brand it is.

And as far as the string separator goes, I think they are a bad idea. It ranks up there with using pencils, nails, screwdrivers, ect. Your better off having your bow pressed. Just think about what the cost of a new string is VS the few dollars you save by jamming something through your string to put peeps or leaches in. Most pro shops don’t charge to put that stuff in, at least I have never been charged by any shop.
The G5 was the peep that was ovaling.

The separator is good to use after the bow has been pressed. Under stress I have yet to get the strings to separate properly without fraying.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:46 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: pneuharth

That has me thinking about my guardian.........hmm hope it was just a fluke thing. By the way where in SD are u?
I from Winner, SD. You know, the place that hunters flock to to chase around the "pretty, colorful birds." I am starting to hate pheasants. Cost me too much in broken headlights, grills, and a windshield. They do taste good though.

The peep was installed by the proshop. I watched him a little bit, but didn't want to be the guy that is looking over your schoelder type of person. I don't think he used a bow press. Maybe I should install the peep myself this time. I didn't like how he tied the peep in anyway. He tied it in right around the peep. I prefer serving it in above and below the peep.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:33 AM
BKE
Fork Horn

If you've only had it since June 2nd I can't imagine that1 of the 2 (either theproshop or the manufacturer) won't take care of it. Either bad string from the git-go or bad part on the peep install. JMO, good luck.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: wis_bow_huntr

Wow that sucks. What is it with all the strings these days, hope it wasnt one of Gibblets......cause im really thinking about buying one from him...
One thing about Gib's strings, they do not hold up well to a drill bit. (inside joke)... I was drilling out a peep and twisted the peep, string, and all around the string.. It did not break, it frayed a little, I have to recommend Gibblet. He is the man, I've had three of his strings, and don't ever plan on buying anywhere else. ...
Old 06-21-2007, 11:51 AM

bob's a good customer. his fiddlin' around gets me about 3 orders a year. (ok, burn - that was funny i don't care who you are).
Old 06-22-2007, 06:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

hehehe you crack me up. everyone knows that power tools and archery dont go together too well. Hey Gibs, would your string hold up if I pounded a coon over the head with my bow??? Some may remember the story a couple years back when my wifes cousin beat a coon over the head that was attached to his legwith his mach10to get his arrow back. PSE replaced limbs, cams, string, etc, at absolutely no cost!
ORIGINAL: gibblet

bob's a good customer. his fiddlin' around gets me about 3 orders a year. (ok, burn - that was funny i don't care who you are).

Quick Reply: Oh no....my string broke

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.