Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Help with long range fishtailing >

Help with long range fishtailing

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Help with long range fishtailing

Old 06-20-2007, 01:20 PM

Default RE: Help with long range fishtailing

Keep what Arthur P said in mind:
If the arrow is launching straight off the bow, flying well until it gets 15-20 yards downrange and then starts going crazy, it's not bow tune.

Many things contribute to poor arrow flight and most have been covered here already. Definitely spin test the arrows and also check the uniformity of the fletches. We had one customer come in the other day who had some arrows fletched with both straight and left helical on the same arrow.

Offset or helical will definitely help but are not absolutely necessary if the arrows are straight and properly fletched and properly spined.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Agreed to what all these guys are telling you.

I'd like to see the arrow flight of those arrows Len. They'd probably do tricks. How is that possible? Did he loose a fletch and put a new one on differently?

Old 06-20-2007, 08:05 PM

Dave:

My arrow tech, who is one of the best I've ever seen, called it to my attention when they were brought in for refletching. We asked the customer who had done it and he said it was done at another localarchery shop. Needless to say, he doesn't plan on having them refletch his arrows any more.

Had another neat issue pop up last week. A customer was wondering why his string was stretching so much. Turns out another shop had reserved over 2 broken strands in the string and, on top of that, didn't do a proper center serving tie-off.

Had one crossbow job where the customer bought the parts from me and had his buddy fix the draw cable on aTenPoint Accu-draw. He saved $20 originally but had to bring it back to me to repair the original work done by his buddy and fix the other damage his buddy had caused. Total outlay to me was another $95 andan embarrassed look on his face.

One more good one. I had a customer come by the shop because his sight was falling off. Whe we removed the sight screws we found that the original installer had stripped out boththreaded holes. So that the customer wouldn't know it, they epoxied the holes and the sight surface. It may have worked if the epoxy had been properly mixed. It was still gummy when we got it. Anyway, we got the OK to drill the holes deeper,retap and bottom tap the holes.

I could write a book on some of the things we see in my shop. The reason we see so many of them is that many try to get it done for free by their buddies or another shop is less expensive or closer to them.

Old 06-20-2007, 08:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

The string one is scary. The rest are just funny. I guess not for the customer though. I'm amazed that shops would do stuff like that.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:18 PM

An arrow from an out of tune bow will be flying all whompyjawed
Is that some physicist jargon for "all messed up?"